element in stove blew up

Just had the weirdest thing happen. The element in my JennAir electric stove blew up. The wife was heating up the oven and there was a very loud pop and a fire, with lots of smoke. After it settled, I looked in and could see a 1/4" hole in the element. Any thoughts????

Thanks

edee em I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

Reply to
Edee em

Sometimes they don't just 'go quietly into that good night'.

Take a trip to

& get a new element.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not sure about your stove element, but some are hollow tubes that have a wire wound up inside it and some insulating material. Probably wore through the insulating material and the electric arc is what blew the hole in the element.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I think you nailed it. You can buy a replacement and install it quite easily

Reply to
RBM

Might be broken. You should consider replacing the element.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thoughts? Sure, the element "blew up".

R&R at your own risk.

Reply to
Oren

"Edee em" wrote in news:Lnp6n.5501$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe19.iad:

Thoughts? Yea. I don't think duct tape will do the trick this time.

Reply to
Red Green

Thanks guys

I get from your responses that this is not an unusual event. I never heard of it so I thought it was worse than it seemed.

As always, thanks!

Reply to
Edee em

While it does not often hapen, it is not all that unusual. It is one of the more common ways the element goes bad. It either blows a hole in the element or the wire just burns into and the element quits heating. Sometimes the element can bur into and then one of the ends sags down and touches the tube and that blows the hole in the element.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery