My Rug Is Bunching Up

New problem.

I have a 4-season sun-room addition over a crawl space. The 12 X 20 room was built 9 years ago, and at the time I had the floor carpeted with what I thought was good padding.

This winter the rug is showing a problem. Seems that the rug is developing ripples some few feet long. There are some three or four at different places. When I walk on the ripples in stocking feet, I can feel what appear to be the padding bunching up underneath. Is the padding simply deteriorating? If so, why? Dampness? Coldness?

I have to wonder why this is happening now, since the rug has been down for so many years. I thought maybe the cold air in the underneath crawlspace was the culprit. Didn't show this before though.

I figure I am going to have to pull up the carpet and replace the padding. This will be difficult work for this senior-senior citizen. Whatever is wrong, though, could do the same thing with new padding.

Someone out there have some ideas on the subject?

Thanks

Duke

Reply to
jw

I've had carpet "ripple" like this after it had been installed for years. Most likely, the carpet was not stretched *enough* when the company installed it. Carpet will stretch over time...

The solution was to have the company back out and have them stretch the carpet again. Using a power stretcher. They trimmed about two inches at one corner and about a half inch at the other corner. There was nothing wrong with the padding.

Careful, the ripples are a trip hazard.

Reply to
Oren

Exact same experience, restretching the carpet solved the problem. Check the padding while the carpet is up as it may need to be trimmed a little also.

Reply to
hrhofmann

WADR, isn't that like asking, How come the dog is sick or dying after living for 9 years?

Most things deteriorate with time.

Reply to
mm

Hi,

  1. Quality of material
  2. Humidity in the room
  3. May need restretching
  4. Workmanship. Our 3 season sun room has carpet on the floor. No problem so far for 15+ years.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Often carpets made with synthetic backing material will stretch over the years, especially if furniture has been moved by dragging. Organic backing material doesn't tend to behave in this manner. Re-stretching will easily fix it as long as it hasn't gone baggy, center loose with tight edges.

Reply to
EXT