Storage Room Addition

I have recently purchased a home in San Diego that has a 4ft x 4ft concrete pad in the rear where the washer and dryer sit, uncovered. I would like to tear out this pad, re-pour a larger one (10x20) and then frame in a nice lanudry room / storage area. This structure would be attached to the house, but without access from the inside.

I have done enough projects around the house, and followed the Black&Decker home repair manuals enough to feel confident that I can do a good job on the framing, roofing, siding, plumbing and electric. I am a little shakey on pouring the concrete slab. I feel like I know

70% of what needs to be done to pour a decent foundation. I like to know 100% how to do a job before I even buyt the supplies. I am anxious to do this project myself. Where do I go to answer the little questions that I have? Is there a book anyone would recommend, or an online resource.

Specifically, I am wondering, would a 6" slab do, or should I pour a footing that stands a few inches above groundline, and then pour a floor inside the footing? How much gravel is necessary underneath the concrete? What is the best way to attach the framing to the concrete given the size of the structure?

Reply to
Runyan