Cutting plastic with a band saw.

What would be better for cutting 1/16 and 1/8 inch plastic (lucite) with a band saw: a metal cutting blade which has 24 tpi, more than one needs to do a smooth job, or a wood cutting blade with 6 tpi, fewer than one needs I think to do a smooth job.

I don't know why, but I"m afraid the metal-cutting blade either won't cut or will overheat and melt the plastic; and that the coars wood blade with chip and crack the plastic.

I know I can just try this, but it's a pain to change blades, and I wanted to ask you guys anyhow.

Reply to
mm

a fine tooth plywood blade works great or buy a lucite cutting blade for the tablesaw

if you insist on the band saw.....the finer the teeth the better, the more teeth the better. so I guess from the blades you seem to have..........the metal 24 tpi works best. pull it apart after it melts together from the heat build up.

Reply to
dachief123

Check the Lucite fabrication guide here:

what you need to know.

Frank

Reply to
Frank