Blade size for a band saw ?

I picked up a "Springfield Cast" 12" bench bandsaw, at an auction. It's model 20412.

I have never heard of this brand of tools, or who sold them.....

But for $6, I thought I'd give it a try. When I got home, I plugged it in, and it runs fine. It even has a variable speed knob, which is something I have never seen on band saws.

Actually it seems to be well made.

The blade is still good, but sooner or later I'll need one. I'd like to look for a spare blade BEFORE I need it. There is no address, phone, or website listed on the tool. In fact I googled the brand and did not find anything.

So, how do I determine the blade size needed? Yea, if I take it off, I can probably get a rough length measurement, and it appears to be about

1/2" wide. (I believe the thickness matters too, or am I wrong???).

Why it's called 12" is beyond me. That blade is much longer than one foot. And the saw is also bigger.

I've used band saws but not much, and I have never had to buy a blade for one. Are there universal blade sizes? I'll probably have to buy blades on Ebay, unless I can get them at Menards or a local hardware store.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

The 12" is the size of the throat, meaning there should be 12" between the blade and the case of the saw. I believe the Springfield Cast saws use a

56 1/8" blade.

However, it's not only the length you need to be concerned with, it's also the width and tooth set. The thinner the blade, the tighter the radius you can cut.

Highland Woodworking sells some really good blades and also has a lot of good information on their site. You can also call them and speak directly with a tech or email them for info. They (amongst others) can weld any size blade that you need, although I believe that 56 1/8" is a fairly common size and may be available off the shelf.

Some general purpose blades in your length can be found here:

DerbyDad03

Look at the bottom of the grid, where it says "Blades for Small Bandsaws"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Using a piece of wire, I measured about 56 inches, so I think this is the right length.

The width is about 1/2" but how do I know what the correct tooth set should be?

I was hoping this thread would reveal some sort of SOURCE for the Springfield Cast brand. It appears this company has no website or even any phone or address contacts. So, where did it come from??? As I said, even using Google got me nothing.

You said "Highland Woodworking" can make any size blade, but how will they know the correct tool set? (Unless they know about this particular brand of saw)?

Even the no-name off brands of tools usually have some sort of contact information. Apparently this saw was a "one of a kind" brand made for a short time and the manufacturer vanished??????

Reply to
Paintedcow

Call them and ask. 404 872 4466

the pitch and width are job-specific, not saw-specific. If you're resawing you would find 3tpi blades to be useful. If you are scrolling, a 1/8th or 3/16th 14tpi-18tpi blade would be better.

General rule of thumb is to choose the pitch such that there are between two and ten teeth in the material being cut simultaneously.

Scott Lurndal

The width of the blade, the number of teeth and the set will depend on what you want to do with the saw. It's not based on the saw or who made it, it's based on what you want to do with it at any given time. I have

3 different blades that I swap on and off, depending on the task at hand.

If you DAGS "how to choose a band saw blade" you'll get lots of info.

This is a page from Highland Woodworking, but there are tons of other sites with more info on band saws and band saw blades than you could ever need.

I read someplace that it was made by Sears, but I cannot verify that. However, as far as simply getting a blade for it, you don't buy blades specific to your saw (other than the length), you buy blades specific to your cutting needs.

In addition, there are after-market guides, bearings and tires that may fit. You could call Highland and ask if they are familiar with that brand.

I assume you mean "tooth set" not "tool set". Once again, it's based on the task, not the saw. They don't need to know about the saw, they just need to know what you are going to do with it.

That I can't answer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ok, thanks. As far as it being made by Sears, I guess I'll give them a call and ask.

Will do!

Yep, "tooth". Brain fart or typo, I dunno :)

Reply to
Paintedcow