How to cut back installed laminate floor

I need to cut an installed laminate floor back about 1.5" from a wall. I am wondering what would be the best tool for this. I tried a dremel ez-lock cutoff wheel and it will work but it is very slow and burns the end of the laminate. They make other types of cutting & shaping wheels and I know there are vibrating tools that can be used to cut but I do not know how any of them would work in this application.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
NoSpam

The job would be trivial with this tool:

salty

My tools of choice for this would be eye protection, a respirator (quality dust mask), and a RotoZip with a wood bit.

Using a 1/2" board placed against the wall or baseboard your bit should cut

1 1/2" from the wall or base. Double-check your tool; mine has a one inch offset from the guide to the bit.
Reply to
Colbyt

The dremel should work, sounds like you are running it to fast and/or pushing the blade too hard. Let the saw do the work, take the time.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

How long a cut do you need to make. 2 inches? 32 feet?

Reply to
mm

Reply to
NoSpam

I was using a cutoff whell. I would be afraid to use a saw because it might easily run away on me.

Reply to
NoSpam

Totally agree, the multitool is the way to go. Hard to believe so many people try to do a man's work with a Dremel boy's tool. And the Harbor Freight people have expanded their selection of serious blade types to scoop up even more of the market as noted in the link above. For the price/utility ratio this is a no brainer choice.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'd give it a shot with it. I just wonder how well the HF blade will hold up. Some of the laminate surfaces are very hard on blades. For instance, one floor I installed had aluminum oxide in it's surface for surface longevity. Had a plain steel chop saw laying around. Made about 10 cuts then started blue smoking. Switched to a carbide blade and finished the floor.

Reply to
Red Green

I've used the semi-circle wood and plastics blade to flush cut nails and cut copper pipes. I don't think laminates will present much of a challenge at all.

Makes nice, easily controlled, straight cuts with a very narrow kerf.

Reply to
salty

The quickest way would be a circular saw with a fine-toothed (sacrificial?) blade - set to the correct depth of course. Should be able to do ten feet in, oh, 1.5 minutes.

The best way is with the Harbor Freight multi-tool. This will take somewhat longer. Maybe twenty minutes.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd use a circular saw with a fine plywood blade anyplace it'll fit and a multi-tool (HarborFreight, Dremmel, Bosch, Fein, in increasing cost) to finish in the corners where the circular saw won't reach.

Reply to
krw

replying to salty, Cmccain wrote: Just took me to Harbor Freight website but not seeing the tool. Can you help me?

Reply to
Cmccain