Cutting into a tennis ball

Need to cut an 1.5" X into 96 tennis balls. (To attach to classroom chair legs, if you must know ;-)
So far, a box cutter is not getting it done, neither a small "cutting" wheel from a dremel kit
Best so far is with ball held in a vise, and using a miter box saw to cut 2 1.5" slits in ball to form X. But this is a bit tedious for 96 x 2 cuts.
Thought of a table saw, but fingers would be too close to blade for my comfort
Tried looking for a dremel type cutter that would go in a drill motor, but haven't seen anything I want to pay for if it does not work any better than miter saw.
Any suggestions ??
On 7/20/2019 4:44 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

Know anybody with a bandsaw?

On 7/20/19 6:40 PM, dpb wrote:

I think the school has one, but would still be concerned about fingers.
On 7/20/2019 7:01 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

Probably the safest way if done right. You use a push stick behind it. Safer that a hand held knife.
Guide and push stick, safe and fast.
On 7/20/19 8:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not sure how well a push stick would control a round ball. Maybe if I created a custom shaped stick ??
On 07/20/2019 06:09 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

I'm thinking something like a 2x4 with a tennis ball sized hole drilled into it and a channel for the bandsaw blade. It may require a little refinement so the captive ball doesn't rotate when it comes into contact with the ball. You could even clamp a stop to the table to get an uniform depth of cut.
People see making a jig first as a waste of effort, but the time would be repaid by about your 95th ball.
On 7/20/19 5:44 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

Wait till school starts up again and then make it a classroom learning experience for the little tykes.
Teach them a little practical problem solving and useful life skills instead of filling their heads with the politically correct drivel that makes up so much of today's curricula...
--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.
On 7/20/19 6:44 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Actually these are for my daughter's middle school science classroom, and she wants it done before Sept, and is moving into a different classroom from last year.
And I also have been involved with her 7th grade students with science projects as most in this relatively affluent school district have never used a screwdriver or drill, etc before. And you're right, most have never had to fix anything. It's always just "call the guy".
BTW, she does teach real world issues within the realm of science.
On 07/20/2019 04:58 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

At the engineering school I went to, the Indian students were recognized as very bright but if you wound up with one as a lab partner you didn't let him touch tools if physical apparatus was involved. At least in that era most students from India came from well-to-do families that always called the guy. US kids that wanted a career in engineering had been taking things apart since their first PlaySkool workbench.
Sadly, I think the US is catching up to real world incompetence.
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-7, "\" snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I would try a powered reciprocating saw.
On 7/20/19 6:53 PM, RosemontCrest wrote:

Hhmm....... I could try mounting my jigsaw in the vise, if i can "cushion" it to stay in place.
On 7/20/2019 7:00 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

And yet you will use a half assed makeshift setup rather than a bandsaw. OMG, look to buy a ready made item rather than risk by misuse of a tool.

I'd make a sharp X knife to fasten to my big tinner's soldering iron. Just like butta'
On 07/20/2019 08:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Bet it wouldn't smell like butta...
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Jul 2019 19:00:19 -0400, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

I think all these power tool ideas are bad ideas. Dangerous. It's not wood, You can make a jig to hold the tennis ball, just 4 two-inch books would probalby be enough, or you can nail some 2x4's together and then use a sharp knife witha sharp point. Non-folding or with a latch that keeps the knife fromfolding.
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:56:22 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:

The drill press and Forstner bit appears to me to be quite safe.
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 20:06:02 -0700 (PDT), RosemontCrest

You ever try cutting a tennis ball???? KNARLEY. The outer "fabric" catches and tears and winds up in the cutter. Anything HOT slices through it without catching. Anything with teeth will catch and tear
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 9:13:13 PM UTC-7, Clare Snyder wrote:

Yes, I have cut tennis balls. Did you watch the youtube video? It looks like it produced a reasonably clean hole with little effort. Sure, cleaning the bit after a few holes may be necessary.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Jul 2019 21:21:06 -0700 (PDT),

I don't remember seeing that suggestino. If a forstner bit is what I think, an excellent choice.

I must have missed the video also.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Jul 2019 20:56:16 -0400, micky

Better yet, drill a small hole to put the pointed tip of the knife in.
Yes, that's a power tool and I said they were bad ideas, but not this one.