Cutting into a tennis ball

One of those snap off deals? Well, if you've got a supply of them go for it. I've got one in the drawer but it falls into that gap between not being as sturdy as the classic retractable utility knife and not as precise as an X-Acto #11. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

Reply to
rbowman

This type would be better;

Definitely safer than the one you are going to use.

For what it's worth, I would have used tinsnips to cut the cross.

Mark the shape/dimensions of the cross with a pen, drill a small hole in the centre, flatten the ball across the axis of each cut and snip away. The small hole is so the ball easily crumples up prior to snipping. Worked for me when I needed to make a cover for the trailer hitch ball on my towbar.

Reply to
Xeno

Yep, that is what I would do. Indeed, what I have done. That reminds me, a couple have come adrift from their chairs - will look into rectifying that.

Reply to
Xeno

Buy decent quality pads and clean the bottom face of the legs before application will see them stay on for a long time. I did some 6 years ago and only now I notice a couple have become dislodged.

Reply to
Xeno

It's even easier than that, just fold at the X axis and snip across the fold. Do it twice and you're done. I drilled a very small hole so the ball would collapse when folding. Could do all 96 in one sitting without pain.

Reply to
Xeno

Yes, I find them decidedly more risky in use. I prefer the old reliable Stanley utility knife.

Xeno

Makes a lot more sense to use the drill press as the youtube showed when you need to do hundreds of them, or buy them with the hole in them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Unlikely to work so well in rooms full of school kids.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Those skinny things with the break-off blades are meant for cutting the tape to open cartons - not for much more. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Funny how all of the sudden, half tennis balls are a good idea. I've never seen that done. In household, the felt pads work well. In classrooms, and thinking of my school years in the 1960s, I don't think the chairs or desks had any bottom thing attached to legs. Just plain wood. Never noticed scuffs all over the floors back then.

Why is this such an issue 100 years later?

Reply to
Gary

Even for that I find them suspect. Set the blade low on the utility knife and you get the same effect with a much better grip. I have a few of the large utility knives around here and they are the only ones I use.

Reply to
Xeno

Store clerks or warehouse workers often carry a little belt-clip-holster - just a small comfortable thing that can be worn all day, every day - pen, 2-ended Sharpie marker, 6 inch rule, small tape measure, and one of those box cutters .. I hated the tiny skinny ones - more difficult to hang on to - hence more dangerous. This model gives a better grip ..

Won't break the bank when you mis-place it, either. ps : you __will__ misplace it ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Because the chairs are now STEEL - NOT WOOD!!! It is a different century now. Keeping tips on tubular steel chair legs is a never-ending project.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I've done this many times. It's not rocket science.

A box cutter or utility knife works fine. Just be patient. Once you get the blade through it cuts.

The problem is holding the ball if you don't have a vice. I have an improvised vice that works okay.

Reply to
TimR

And yet the friction material somehow manages to stay attached to a brake pad backing plate.

Reply to
Goober

We all still remember the sound of 160 chair legs scraping across that floor when the bell rang

Reply to
gfretwell

Or hijacking airplanes

Reply to
gfretwell

Try a carpet knife and you will throw them all away.

gfretwell

Sometimes - and it is NOT a pressure sensitive adhesive that fastens it - and it is NOT attetched to the open end of a tube - so you better start looking for a better straw man.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Some time ago the school retrofitted all the chairs in the classrooms with this "snap cap & slide"

It wasn't long before the plastic snaps started to break, resulting in a wobbly chair. (never under estimate the power of a 7th grader to break anything labeled "unbreakable ;-)

Also there are many available things that try to address the issue (see

)

but the consensus among actual classroom teachers around here seems to be the tennis ball is best.

Reply to
Anonymous