Need to solve PVC cutting problem

I need to cut a 2" PVC pipe, and I am planning to use a 7 1/4" SkilSaw to cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it stays stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

Reply to
alphadeltabravo108

Do you need to make a lot of cuts or just a couple?

If you need to make a lot of cuts, consider using a power miter saw, it will cut the pipe nice and square and it will go through like butter.

If you only need to make a few cuts, use a fine tooth back saw and a miter box.

If you must use the circular saw, you can construct a jig from three pieces of dimensional lumber to form a channel or trough the PVC pipe can sit in while you cut.

However, I would urge you to consider the power or manual miter saw if you want good square cuts.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 4:42:56 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it stays stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

I've never used a power saw. For a few plumbing cuts a hacksaw works for m e. If you want ends that are more square than free hand, a hose clamp can me used as a guide. It all depends on what the use is,how perfect they need to be and how many you have to do.

Reply to
trader_4

Maybe renting a chop saw would be a good option. You'd probably get a better cut. Do you have an outside stair? Hold the pipe on the first step with your knee. A vise? Look at wood clamps on Amazon. Maybe something there will strike your fancy.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

o cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it stays stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

Ah okay. I just need to cut once (If it's cut correctly). So, buy a fine to oth back saw and a miter box from Home Depot then? What I am afraid of from using this, is the fact it could fall in at a angle while cutting and it w on't cut precisely or it'll create a uneven surface( from personal experien ce). I am assuming the fine tooth back saw and miter box will prevent this?

Reply to
alphadeltabravo108

ote:

to cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it stay s stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

me. If you want ends that are more square than free hand, a hose clamp ca n me used as a guide. It all depends on what the use is,how perfect they ne ed to be and how many you have to do.

Problem with a hacksaw from my past experience, would be that if it went in at angle while cutting, it'll ruin the PVC (sharp, uneven, rough edges).

Reply to
alphadeltabravo108

Only one cut? Is this being used in a glue joint coupling? If so, it doesn't have to be perfectly square. You can mark the pipe in several places around the circumference and use a regular crosscut hand saw or hack saw to first score it around the circumference and then just use the saw to cut it all the way through, carefully. It will cut like butter. No need to go out and buy a bunch of stuff.

Clean the burs off the outside and inside of the cut and you will be good to go. PVC is very forgiving.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Trader's idea x 2 with the hose clamps. These cable saws are cheap. Put a hose clamp on either side of where you want the cut as a guide.

or

Dean Hoffman

Which way are you cutting it? Lengthwise or crosswise?

For crosswise, a jig like this will work great - if you have enough cuts to make it worth the effort. Just change the flat section to round or screw a section of a wider diameter pipe to the flat section

For lengthwise, a jig like this could be adapted by adding some side supports and the bottom section:

DerbyDad03

I use a tubing cutter. It looks like a C clamp with a couple of rollers on one jaw and a circular cutting blade on the other. Like a C clamp you twi st a screw to close the jaws. The process is clamp down a bit, spin it aro und the tube, clamp down a little more, keep going until it falls apart.

They aren't very expensive, though the small ones will have trouble with a

2 inch.

I've watched our mechanics cut 2 inch galvanized with a big one. Nice squa re cut, nice clean edges.

I was in the plumbing supply store the other day and some guy was buying a bunch of long 1 inch. He cut a piece with what looked like super diagonal cutters. It seemed to me that would crush the end but he looked like he kn ew what we was doing so I dunno.

Reply to
TimR

to cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it sta ys stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

tooth back saw and a miter box from Home Depot then? What I am afraid of fr om using this, is the fact it could fall in at a angle while cutting and it won't cut precisely or it'll create a uneven surface( from personal experi ence). I am assuming the fine tooth back saw and miter box will prevent thi s?

28

or

or

HJB

Reply to
DerbyDad03

w to cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it st ays stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

or me. If you want ends that are more square than free hand, a hose clamp can me used as a guide. It all depends on what the use is,how perfect they need to be and how many you have to do.

in at angle while cutting, it'll ruin the PVC (sharp, uneven, rough edges).

That's why I suggested using a stainless steel pipe clamp as a guide if you 're not good with a saw. Burrs clean up in a few seconds with a file.

Reply to
trader_4

LOL, why stop there? Why not just have him go out and buy a CO2 cutting laser? ;-)

It is just one cut, if he is using it in a traditional glue joint, cutting it with what he has on hand is the way to go. All he needs is a tape measure, something to mark with, almost any kind of hand saw and something mildly abrasive or sharp to remove the burs.

I refer you to the US Navy's KISS principle.

Stormin' Norman

rote:

Saw to cut it. Only problem is, I need to find a way to hold it down so it stays stationary. Does anyone have any ideas with this? Thanks in advanced.

ne tooth back saw and a miter box from Home Depot then? What I am afraid of from using this, is the fact it could fall in at a angle while cutting and it won't cut precisely or it'll create a uneven surface( from personal exp erience). I am assuming the fine tooth back saw and miter box will prevent this?

That's what was missing from the beginning, what the intended purpose was and how many cuts. If it's making some kind of furniture or something that requires precise cuts and 50 of them, it's one thing. If it's a drain pipe, glue or Fernco coupling and one of them, it's another.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

A 2" hose clamp is a fantastic idea. Never thought of that. I have some 2" ABS pipe that I need to cut, and while I do have a chop saw, the ABS pipe has to be cut in place, since it's glued into some pool plumbing.

And I ditto the fact that PVC doesn't have to be cut perfectly under normal use. I've cut thousands of feet of it with just a hacksaw, sometimes just the blade, and no jig (mitre box). What's also easy to use is one of those short hacksaws with no back.

Boris

Sounds like you have few tools other than the SkilSaw. Good holding tools include the vise, some saw horse setups, clamps.

Maybe take it outside and hold it against some steps or other landscape features. Be careful with power tools.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I thought this was an interesting method.

mike

Clamp the pipe between a couple of 2x4 scraps and cut all 3 together

Reply to
gfretwell

At the ice rink downtown they have things that look like walkers made out of pvc pipe, that ice skaters use to keep from falling down. It looked like a fun project, but I decided to stay inside and drink cocoa.

Reply to
micky

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Just clean the loose swarf from the cut, the PVC glue will solve the rest of your concerns.

Reply to
Tekkie®