pvc/abs glue

I once had a joint to make a joint, the fitting was correct for the two materials, but one side was PVC and the other was ABS, I had no idea how to glue the joint, and didn't know what type of glue to join the two dissimilar materials. Since it was a weekend and only one non-critical joint, I used ABS solvent glue on the ABS part and PVC solvent glue on the PVC part and put them together while both were wet. The glues worked and the joint has held for the past 25 years.

Reply to
EXT

I have some abs pipe. I am trying to find some abs pipe extenders. I have bought some before at the pool place, but now all they have is pvc. All I am finding online is pvc. Still looking for ABS, and have e mails into quite a few companies.

How well does the glue available for gluing abs to pvc work?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The green glue is the one to use. It is made for abs/pvc connections. The same cleaner can be used on both.

Reply to
Colbyt

Oatey makes a single glue which works for ABS, PVC and CPVC. I bought a can at HD recently

Reply to
Rudy

Saw it today. It's in a yellow can.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Check out the Oatey website.

I have used universal glue for ABS & PVC but ABS pipe to ABS fittings or PVC pipe to PVC fittings.

If its the prodcut I used it's not a transition glue.

I did use use it for PVC to ABS (before I found the transition glue) but not in a pressurized system. The joints held but I never really stressed them much.

The Oatey PVC / ABS transition glue (green?) according to their website is for non pressure applications.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207