attaching a fire hose nozzle to schedule 40 PVC

What types of threads do fire hose nozzles use? I want to attach a 2" lexan adjustable firehose nozzle to the end of a 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe. Can a plumber cut threads in the pvc that will allow me to screw the nozzle on or will I need an adopter( what do I need?) The nozzle I want to use is this...

Thanks Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

Fire hoses in the US use NST or NH threads (same thing.) It's a straight, coarse thread (no taper). 2" NST is 8 tpi.

You can find adapters and couplings that will get you from just about any other thread to NST.

You'd be well advised to not cut male threads in schedule 40. The thread cutting process removes material and with schedule 40 there will be so little left that the joint may fail in time. It's much better to use female PVC threaded adapters and a short brass nipple. Schedule 80 would be my choice if I was to spend the money to have thread cut

I trust that you're not using PVC for a fire protection application.

RB

Brand> What types of threads do fire hose nozzles use?

RB

According to RB :

Which is, in case it isn't obvious, the standard straight thread for 2" plastic pipe, the fittings are easy to get and quite inexpensive.

Couple of bucks.

If you have any difficulty at all in finding one, go to a swimming pool equipment place. That's where I bought mine - tho, I think they had to order it. Took a day or two.

[I built a firehose/nozzle "system" on the drain side of my pool pump. The pool place assembled the fittings for free so I didn't have to buy a container of glue for just two joints... My system has a Y valve off the drain. One leg goes to the permanently installed drain (1 1/2 PVC tubing), the other goes to the 2" firehose via the aforementioned fitting.]

It's certainly suboptimal, but if you already have the pump/lines installed already (as I did with our pool), and this is intended just as a first response "option" while you're waiting for the firetrucks, why not?

That being said, if you're doing this as part of a firecode requirement (ie: firefighting equipment in a commercial building), forget it, do it the right way.

I suppose using PVC drain pipe and fittings for high pressure firehose applications is a relatively bad idea (150+ PSI), but if you're like my system (30PSI maximum), it'll be fine.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

As a former volunteer fireman, I assure you that there are several thread pitches.

Your best bet is to buy the nozzle, and then get a pitch gage to see what thread it has.

As a couple other folks opined, you'd be better off to get a male adaptor and glue that onto the end of the pipe. But to get one with the correct thread? Who knows?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a good idea to me. So where does one buy a fire nozzle and hose? | |[I built a firehose/nozzle "system" on the drain side of my pool pump. |The pool place assembled the fittings for free so I didn't have to buy |a container of glue for just two joints... My system has a Y valve |off the drain. One leg goes to the permanently installed drain (1 1/2 |PVC tubing), the other goes to the 2" firehose via the aforementioned fitting.] | |> I trust that you're not using PVC for a fire protection application. | |It's certainly suboptimal, but if you already have the pump/lines installed |already (as I did with our pool), and this is intended just as a first |response "option" while you're waiting for the firetrucks, why not? | |That being said, if you're doing this as part of a firecode requirement |(ie: firefighting equipment in a commercial building), forget it, do it the |right way. | |I suppose using PVC drain pipe and fittings for high pressure firehose |applications is a relatively bad idea (150+ PSI), but if you're like my system |(30PSI maximum), it'll be fine. |-- |Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est |It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

According to Rex B :

Heh. Weeelll, the hoses (high quality canvas with massive brass connectors) were left behind by the previous owner. He was a plumber, and I _suspect_ he liberated them from "firehose stations" in a commercial building that was being demolished or upgraded. The nozzle (again an old massive chunk of chrome-plated brass) was bought for $10 at a fleamarket from a guy upgrading the fire fighting equipment at his rental cabin complex.

I've seen what appear to be good quality plastic firehose nozzles in stores for $35 or so (at a store similar to what Northern Hydraulics used to be). Check the yellow pages I guess under fire fighting equipment.

Might be able to find useable gear at a building recycler.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Thanks for the replies... I am going to use this to distribute the backwash water for my pool. I have 2" pvc plumbed from the filter( the backwash outlet) along the wall to the back, it then runs up to just the edge of the top of the back wall, where I will use the nozzle to control and direct the water in a non-eroding spray to where I want it to go. ( into the greenspace on the other side) I am also going to plumb in a fitting where I can in fact attach a firehose for use"just in case".

Some have asked where to get a fire hose and nozzle...check ebay...

$30 bucks with 2 hours to go.

Thanks Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

The adapter will cost you more than the nozzle did. You need an iron pipe thread to national hose thread adapter.

25 1-1/2? F NPT X 1-1/2? M NST is the item you want.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Dep

Thanks for the link. I may stop by the local fire house and ask them if they can help me out with at least a connection to a local distributor. Never know, they may have one or a couple of these laying around.

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

Thanks for the information.

Brandon

Others have mentioned it but a bit of clarification is in order.

To go from PVC to anything else you start with a PVC - NPT adapter in PVC. It is best to always make this adapter a male vice female as just screwing a male iron into a female pvc can cause it to split on the cast line (ask how I know). Once you have iron NPT fitting, you can then get the fitting(s) to change to any other thread type.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K