Attaching to stucco - Lag shield?

I need to attach a post to stucco. The post will be used to attach some guardrails for a second story balcony. Would 1/4" lag bolts inserted into lag shields be the right approach for attaching the post?

Thanks, PeterM

Reply to
Peter Montgomery

Cut out the stucco , attach , and seal with Stucco and caulk

Reply to
m Ransley

m,

Afraid that's not really an option. The house is from 1933, as is the post. The post is a 5 X 5 inch by 7 foot piece of wood that was turned on a lathe and then cut in half and made into two half rounds. The post was removed by a carpenter a couple of years ago and I am merely trying to restore it. It's unclear from the post itself how it was attached other than a couple of nails top and bottom - that may have been all that held it.

So, how about 1/4 inch lag bolts and lag shields?

Thanks, PeterM

Reply to
Peter Montgomery

Stucco by itself is not particularly strong. I see from a follow-up post that, given the age of the house, this is "real" stucco. If this isn't a structural post, and is only decorative in nature, the lag shields should hold fine. If it's structural, you really need to anchor to a stud under the stucco, for which long lags should do the trick. Locating a stud, of course, will be the tricky part.

Reply to
Mark