I tightened up a 1/4" lag screw that I bought from Home Depot earlier this
evening. It was screwed into 1.5" fir after pre-drilling with a 1/8" pilot
After it bottomed out, I turned it just a little bit more, holding a 3/8"
ratchet handle close to the shaft, not out on the handle. I wasn't giving
it much torque, just making sure that it was secure, when it turned to
It was less torque tha I have used in the past to tighten drywall screws.
Here is the result:
On the plus side, it was really easy to drill a little hole in the piece
that is still left in the wood (the hole is for the EZ out).
I'm actually glad that this came apart on me; at least I know to get some
halfway decent ones now before something failed with more catastrophic
Be careful what you build with the fasteners you buy from the bulk bin at