Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Saw wax is much the same thing in a tube, you push the disc inside the tube to push out more wax. It's a little thicker than bowl wax but does a very good job lubricating any drill bit or saw blade used in wood or metal and it really helps with driving screws into wood or metal especially if the threads have to cut their way in metal.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I keep a chunk of paraffin in the cupboard for just that purpose. Works okay for the saw, too.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

jaymelone had written this in response to

: Guys, just like you wouldn't buy a water heater from Home Depot, I wouldn't recommend their hardware, either. The quality is sub-standard and pricing is through the roof.

I'm opening a site online where you'll be able to find any fastener in any material for any job. We'll also have some pretty cool features to help you plan your projects and buy the right stuff, and the right amount, too! We'll even help you contractors out there engage with and grow your customer base. We have a lot in the works.

I'll write up a new post once the site is up and give you all the address. I'd even appreciate a few of you helping me test the site out. I'll definitely make it worth your while.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Jay

-- FastenSoft, LLC

J> I tightened up a 1/4" lag screw that I bought from Home Depot

-------------------------------------

Reply to
jaymelone

You're not only a SPAMMING shill for the SUCKO company, you're now going to further SPAM this group with your own SPAM?

Do us all a favor and go play in the freeway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

:

I have an immediate need for 5 beryllium copper, 1" x 16" allen head capscrews, 8tpi, with left hand, double lead buttress threads, polished to a surface finish of

50nm and having a total indicated runout of .0002" and some plastic wing nuts for same. :)

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Oh, bother. I had a couple gross of those. One of my multiple wives cleaned out the space ship we use to hi to Kolob, and had all that sent out with the trash. Good thing she didn't throw out my flashlight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll bet you would have made me a good deal, story of my life.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

FWIW, my neighbor asked me and another neighbor to hang her new LCD TV set, using an arm bracket. Without going into detail, we needed (4) 1/4" X 6" lags to get the job done really solid. I sized the pilot hole myself, using the MK22 eyeball device in my head, and by the way, the hole was drilled with a 5" long bit.

2 of the blasted things torqued off, meaning that we had to adjust the height of the bracket to remount it. They are a POS and it'll be a cold day in Hades before I use anything like that in a project.
Reply to
Nonny

They are 79¢ at Home Depot, but I think the Lowes 35 mile up the road has them for only 77¢ so take the trip to find out for sure before you buy and waste money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Lowes ones are grade 5, the HD ones are grade 2. After all this long thread, I know you'll make the right choice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"basilisk" wrote in news:hggkrv$oiv$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You ain't gonna believe this but Harbor Freight has just such a thing.

Red Green

Try Ace Hardware. Much higher quality, and often cheaper.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Those Ace Hardware stores are independently owned and operated. The prices, selection and service varies widely from location to location.

I have two close to me. The one that has been there forever has an extensive selection of fasteners, cheaper than big box stores and much better quality. The one that opened recently has less selection, surly help and more expensive prices.

Guess which one I go to.

A case in point. I needed some deck screws recently to do a fence repair. The BORG only had the deck screws in those expensive little boxes. And they did not have the sizes I needed either. And they were quite expensive as well. I went to the Ace Hardware, got three different sizes of deck screws from the bulk bins and paid for a pound of fasteners.

And their deck screws are tough little bastards too. I have used them for several repairs. I probably saved at least $20 over Home Depot prices on this job alone. And as been pointed out elsewhere recently, there is no telling what kind of quality you get when paying the big bucks at the BORG.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Ace has consistently had the highest prices for any item you can mention, unless it's on the clearance rack, and then, it's just under what the other stores sell it for every day. Surely you jest.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

:> Try Ace Hardware. Much higher quality, and often cheaper. :>

:> -- Andy Barss

: Ace has consistently had the highest prices for any item you can mention, : unless it's on the clearance rack, and then, it's just under what the other : stores sell it for every day. Surely you jest.

They're independently owned and managed, and may be different where you are. Here (Southern AZ), I have one a couple miles away which has a pretty deep stock of decent hardware (grade 5 included), along with a billion things you'd never find at HD or Lowe's (cotter pins, motor shaft keys, brushes for electric motors,...). if I need something really obscure, there's one about 6 miles away which is enormous, and has pretty much anything I've ever needed that isn't made of a strange metal.

Both have nice, quite knowledgable staff.

And the prices are, for all the items I have compared anyway, cheaper than HD for better stuff. No kidding.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Is that the one on Grant Road?

Where is the other one? There's one up here off Cortaro Road, but it is one of the newer, more "boutique" types, not a lot of obscure stuff.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

In rec.woodworking Mark & Juanita wrote: : Is that the one on Grant Road?

My local one is at Campbell and Glenn, near Albertson's. They recently moved into a larger space and some of the new help are a little off.

: Where is the other one? There's one up here off Cortaro Road, but it is : one of the newer, more "boutique" types, not a lot of obscure stuff.

22nd, East. Really large place, takes up double the regular space, or thereabouts. Once the biggest HW store in the West, apparently.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I miss the TIN Barn that moved out. It had a fantastic nut and bolt selection. a set of trays that was 5' x 80'. You want what? - down there after stainless and before xxxx.

Mart>>> >>>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

1/4"? What's that for, a doll house?