Cutting padlocks

I've got a padlock that's been outside too long. The key won't turn (although after copious amounts of WD40 it does, finally, enter the lock) and it's in a rather hard to reach spot. I'm heading off to Harbor Freight this weekend, so I was thinking that the best way to remove the lock would be to buy an angle grinder and the appropriate cutoff wheels.

Of course, it would be nicest to simply unlock it, and any tips or suggestions about how to coax it open are welcome. Brass body, looks like chrome steel hasp and brass key. Have not tried penetrating oil, hammer bopping, vibrating, heating or cooling yet. Saving the lock is unimportant so cutting is a good alternative as I've wanted an angle grinder/cutoff tool for a while. (-:

I see them cutting through industrial-sized padlocks like butter on "Storage Wars" and it looks like they are using an electrically powered 5 or 6" angle grinder. HF sells an air powered version, but I've got a cheap compressor )-: that I doubt would power it. An electric tool would be better. I have a lithium-ion powered Dremel, but I don't think it would cut through on a single charge. It's just to lightweight a tool for this job.

Anyone have any tips for weatherproofing a replacement? Blobs of silcone over the key hole and where the hasps enter the body of the lock?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"Robert Green" wrote in news:japdld$sjq$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

An ordinary hacksaw or Dremel will do just fine, althought it may take you a few minutes to cut through the hasp. I've cut through a few with my Dremel and the heavy-duty (gray cap) wheels.

Next time buy a weatherproof padlock.

Reply to
Tegger

If you have AC power within reach, go with the angle grinder with a cut off wheel, it will have 100 times the torque of an air powered one from harbor freight and will cut through the lock like butter.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Any 4-1/2" grinder with a thin (~1/8" or less) abrasive wheel will make short work of any pad lock or hasp and generate the least amount of sparks and debris.

A "plug-in Dremel" with those thin cutoff wheels will also do the job.

Never used a battery powered Dremel but those thin (1/16"?) cutoff wheels remove such a small amount of material that the total energy required might keep the job within a single battery cycle.

Unless you really want to buy a POS HF angle grinder, I'd suggest giving your Dremel a try.

Tegger's suggestion of a water proof lock is your best bet for a replacment.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

get a set of bolt cutters and be done in about 15 seconds. as far as maintentence, spray regularly with WD-40. I've had some outside for over 20 years

Reply to
ChairMan

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9FA8CCB4F3D94tegger@208.90.168.18:

If it's a hardened shank? Don't think so.

Reply to
Red Green

about 10 seconds with a cutting torch. That's how I'd do it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not fair!

I want one, but I don't have a rusted pad lock...

Reply to
despen

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is not bad for loosening up the junk inside, but dries out quickly. I have found gun oil to work the best.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

  1. Big Lots has an angle grinder for , its pretty good.

  1. Use a round 100% stainless for replacement,

or Titanium!

G. Morgan

You're gettting there. Maybe just more wd-40 or liquid wrench. Then hit it several times to help the capillary action along.

it was I think a moderate to cheap lock, but it wasn't small, and itt had a brass key and maybe a hardened shackle, and I just hit it with a hammer, Took 3 tries until I actually hit it, but it opened on the first whack. .

Have not tried penetrating oil, hammer

My friend runs a ministorage. She uses an angle grinder.

Don't they sell them with rubber covers, over teh whole thing but the shackle?

Reply to
micky

You're just not living right. I was out for a walk one day and found one just lying there. It must have fallen off of a truck. Now all I need is a rusty pad lock.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Probably too late and it isn't what you want to hear. I know about that angle grinder that is calling your name, I have had the same sort of thing happen to me.

But, the bolt cutter will probably work. If it won't cut the lock then you can always cut the hasp it is locked through, then replace the hasp.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

You think the truck might be back?

Yeah, I'm trying to figure if there's any other job this tool might do? My toenails don't get that tough.

Reply to
despen

I never said to use it as a lube. It will however remove rust and displace water

Reply to
ChairMan

I have yet to meet a padlock that didn't get cut, yes there are probably some that wouldn't, but I doubt in this case this is one of them. I use WD-40 for rust and water displacement, not a lube

Reply to
ChairMan

That's the Egyptian theory. Lots of labor and lots of time.

Lots.

And lots.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Go to the hock shop and look for a Makita or Dewalt or other major brand. Buy by color brightness. The more crisp and new the color, the better shape. Also look at where the cord enters the body for a nice looking cord. Don't buy anything with a cracked protector there, as that is an indicator of age. You should be able to get one for what you will pay for a HF brand, and have one that will last longer. The cutoff grinder will find countless other uses, might as well get a stringer brush and cup knot variety, too. (Caution $20 per item)

I cut off a ton of these when I had my welding business. I had about six storage places that would call, and I'd pop by and for $20 pop it off. Paid for lunch for me and my helper. I used an electric Makita 4" grinder. Then I bought the largest pair of bolt cutters I have ever seen, got it at a police evidence auction. They are four feet long. Damn near a two man operation, but it shortened a five minute job to a fifteen second job. The "hockey puck" locks were the same, and I used a Makita die tool with 14k rpm very thin disc. Not much room to get in there the way they have those configured.

As for weatherproofing, I can't offer much there except to protect the lock, maybe make a little cover out of sheet metal. For a new one, I'd shop for some brand name that has some weather resistant features. Tying a plastic zip lock on there with a rubber band might help, but then it tends to condense and rust.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Arthritis says "NO" to hacksaw solution. I suspect it's cut-off disk or nothing at this point.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I looked again at them clipping locks on "Storage Wars" and they seem to use about a 1/3 horse electric motor (just estimating from the size of the tool) with about an 8 or 9" blade. While I really have no particular use for a tool of that size, I am hoping that the HF ten dollar grinder (half price sale!) will last long enough to at least grind open this one lock.

Santa's bringing me one, but I can't wait that long.

< Never used a battery powered Dremel but those thin (1/16"?) cutoff wheels remove such a small amount of material that the total energy required might keep the job within a single battery cycle.>

I suppose that should be my first line of attack since I have the tools and dozens of cut-off wheels. I think I will try that before buying the grinder since I already have more tools than I have storage space for them.

< Unless you really want to buy a POS HF angle grinder, I'd suggest giving your Dremel a try.>

I am ambivalent about yet another POS HF tool. I'm charging the Dremel now to see what happens. If it only nicks the hasp in 30 or so seconds, I suppose I'll have to make the trek to HF. They have a pump on sale that's proved useful before and some other crap I need, so I'd be going there anyway . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green