cutting opening in block wall

hello, I am planning to cut a larger opening in an outside wall made o

blocks. There is a large window at the moment and I want to install double french window. I have permission from the building controls. I would like to know wha tools to use and how to proceed appart from supporting the load bearin wall, which I know how to do. thank you

-- macon

Reply to
macon

You need a long drill, to drill through in each corner of the opeing, then a pencil and straight edge to join the dots, then an angle grinder to make the cut. then a hammer and chizel to take out the blocks, and a wheelbarrow to shift them away ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I would *not* reccomend an angle grinder for this application as they are usually direct drive electric powered, which means if they catch whilst cutting they don't slip or stall, but propel the tool away from the work piece. The larger ones can be a beast just to handle due to the gyroscopic effect. Dust will be a problem too and you can't wet things much as its electric!

I would use a stone cutter ("Stihl-saw"), which are usually petrol powered belt driven and are a lot safer to use. You can usually wet cut by attaching a hose pipe to these and adjust them to trickle water on to the blade, which reduces the dust a lot.

Stone cutters can be hired from HSS/Hewden etc.

I once trimmed door aperture with a 9" grinder and would *never* do it again like that as I value my fingers toes and especially face! I have used Stihlsaw's too and found them to be a much better option for this sort of work.

Alex.

Reply to
Alex W

You'll know for sure when you hit a wall tie with a grinder

Reply to
simon beer

If these are thermal blocks, a masonary hand saw goes through them like a hot knife through butter, even if plastered (looks like a regular timber saw, but with about 4 teeth/inch). Actually, even a timber saw will work, but it will be wrecked in the process and might not last for all your cuts.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yeah second that.

Also, my builder mate claims to have cut the light thermalite type ones with a handheld jigsaw as well ... but be prepared to buy a new blade!

However if its the external skin you are cutting then they are probably medium density.

Almost backtracking a little ... I cut some medium density ones last summer by scoring the surface with a small 4" grinder and then using a bolster and club hammer to split them ... the difference was that I only cut to a depth of less 1cm with the (small and easy to handle) grinder and was I able to score all *around* the block for a clean break.

You might be able to get away with a scoring the blocks carefully in situ, then drilling through the block on the scored line & using a bolster and club hammer to split them out ... seems like a lot of effort and will still kick out a surpising amount of dust.

Reply to
Alex W