Disc padlock stuck

I have a disc padlock, like Screwfix item 39386:

has stuck/seized in a locked position. The key goes in, and turns maybe

30 degrees and then stops, but the bolt bit doesn't rotate at all. I've tried quite a lot of force, and am a bit worried about snapping the key.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than angle grinder) of how to open it?

I've tried liberal quanities of WD40, but as I read elsewhere tonight, WD40 is not a good lubricant.

Note I don't need to get the padlock off, as, although it's locked, it's not currently locking anything. I can therefore just bin it, but given a replacement is £10 I'd rather salvage this one if it is salvagable.

Thanks, Piers

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

> It has stuck/seized in a locked position. The key goes in, and turns > maybe

Angle Grinder.....Seriously, for a tenner I would cut it off and get something else

Reply to
RW

>>> It has stuck/seized in a locked position. The key goes in, and turns >> maybe

Apply much heat eg from blowtorch? - Fire risk with usual disclaimer of course - esp. as WD40 in there now.

Reply to
dave

> It has stuck/seized in a locked position. The key goes in, and turns > maybe

I have to agree with RW. Chop it off, swallow the cost, and buy a better padlock. OTOH, try using gentle force on the key. If it breaks, you will not be losing anything. WD40 is not a lubricant. It is good but it is not a lubricant. The name WD-40 stands for water displacement, 40th attempt.

This one made me smile

luck.

Reply to
Phil

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like it's time to invest in a real lock for the door the padlock was on.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

These are good quality padlocks. I used several of the more secure version for over 10 years. I did find that they need to be kept well oiled or they lock up temporarily. I'd contrive to immerse it completely in oil overnight, pehaps using a plastic bag full of oil.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

>>> It has stuck/seized in a locked position. The key goes in, and turns >> maybe

If you were still very penny pinching and, like me, happen to have a can of 'Plus Gas' as a general garage item, you could possibly free the thing up by overnight immersion. A similar soaking penetrant mix we used to use was white spirit and '3 in one oil'. All in all, a bit like WD40, but the immersion makes all the difference.

Incidentally, I have found that spraying WD40 on parts while 'red' hot does flare off and help shock/free stuck nuts, blind bearings etc. where cooling with water would not be ideal.

Spamlet

> It has stuck/seized in a locked position. The key goes in, and turns maybe

tonight, WD40

I have an identical one that got jammed - a load of sharp sand swamped it so no real suprise. Rocking the key back and forth whilest shaking the lock got it unlocked. Knocking it on a bit of wood shook out some sand grains and it's been fine since.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Any possibility you are using the wrong key?

Geo

Reply to
Geo