Abusive padlock tests

Overall winner: Master

HeyBub

My locksmith friends use a circular saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade to remove padlocks. I often use my Dremel tool to do the same thing. Nothing is safe from battery operated cutting tools these days.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

like my uncle says: Locks are only to keep honest people out.

Reply to
cln

If the lock is hard to cut, just cut the part is looped through. I needed to get into a room at work that was locked with a padlock that bolt cutters would not cut. Shifted to the soft metal hasp and it took very little effort.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm quite surprized. Master Lock the winner?

And Medeco... their Best quality locks for the vending industry, (soda, candy machines), ... are stronger than any others I've ran across. But they do make a cheap version also.

Reply to
Tony

I say that and I'm not your Uncle... am I?

Reply to
Tony

I have an 18 volt Ryobi rotary tool. With a metal cutoff wheel mounted I can open any padlock about as fast as if I had the key.

Reply to
salty

Master Lock has advertised heavily in PM for decades.

My buddy and I shot an expensive Master Lock (non-plate type) with a .44 mag. Couldn't even find the pieces.

Besides, don't need to cut them. Too damn easy just to pick it. Try googling with pick master lock.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I can open a typical padlock with a hammer faster than if I had the key, one-handed. Shackle usually pops right out. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Why use a gun when this silent way will work?

I have a set of lock picks. Yes, it is this easy. I carry slim jims, too. We have to access areas at times to do our real estate surveys. Pool pump rooms, storage areas, RV parking areas....... lots of places where people think locking it up is sufficient.

We are an agent and assign of the management company, so legally have permission and access to anything on the property. I regularly amaze maintenance personnel and managers. Saves a lot of time for not having to go get keys, or wait days until some ditzy employee can come and open up for you.

I have even opened cars a couple of times for people. I was the best at the Hilton Hotel in Vegas when I parked cars there. Always had people locking themselves out. Made good tips, too when we told them a locksmith would be $100, and usually 4 hours out.

Locks are very easy to defeat, and the newest thing of bumping locks takes two seconds.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Collateral damage!

Reply to
salty

I can pick a padlock in less than a minute. I also have a pair of bolt cutters that stand 3'6" high. Got them at a police auction. I prefer to carry the pick locks, rather than the bolt cutters. ;-)

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Have you checked your local laws? Here in Florida, regardless of permission or even if you're opening your own house, possession of lock picks is illegal unless you're actually a locksmith... (I don't remember the exact language, but it's pretty restrictive.)

Reply to
Larry Fishel

It is called 'possession of burglar's tools' in New York.

Here's the wording for FL [all other state on this page;

] "Section 810.06 - Possession of burglary tools. Whoever has in his or her possession any tool, machine, or implement with intent to use the same, or allow the same to be used, to commit any burglary or trespass shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. "

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

And as I read both of them- you're OK if you have permission to enter the property. [and I think Steve is in UT where there are *no* codes.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Read it again.

A baseball bat is a deadly weapon if you use it as a weapon or threaten someone with it. A screw driver is a burglar toll in some contexts and situations.

Intent (or use) is everything.

Dentists have drawers full of lock picking tools.

My garden shed is full of deadly weapons.

The tire iron in my car? Depends on whether I use it to change a tire or whack somebody with it.

Reply to
salty

Have you checked your local laws? Here in Florida, regardless of permission or even if you're opening your own house, possession of lock picks is illegal unless you're actually a locksmith... (I don't remember the exact language, but it's pretty restrictive.)

reply: I only stated that we had legal permission of the owners and management companies to open locked areas, and that would include using bolt cutters or a prybar. Yes, they are illegal to possess. I have LEO experience, and family on the force there. I also have a license plate ring that identifies me subtly as a family member of the force there. I have my old ID. The picklocks are always hidden, and for any officer to be able to find them, they would have to be on a search for something else to toss the entire car. I am a well behaved citizen and that isn't going to happen.

I fail to see that if you are on your own property that there can be a problem about opening a door. But then The Republik of Kalifornia has strange laws, and perhaps Florida does too.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

We are in full view of management, and there is no intent to commit burglary. We are simply gaining access at the direction and/or under the supervision of management. We are on property by order of the owners as a legal agent or assign, therefore there is no trespass. I'd be within the law, even in Florida. It would seem that by that writing, anyone could possess these tools if they had no intent. It's like the Vermont concealed carry law. No permit is necessary if the concealed firearm is carried with no intent to use it to commit a crime.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Almost all our work is done in Nevada. We have had a couple of jobs in Utah, and Arizona.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Sorry 'bout that. I knew it was someplace that was too hot for humans.

Once you get south of the Mason/Dixon and west of the Mississippi, they all run together to me.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht