Air Conditioner (window)

So my Air Conditioner descided to hang itself by the cord when I opened the window. :) I checked with an ohm reader to see if the cord was still good. All signs positive.

I pluged it in, and was able to turn on the fan and switched from Fan to Cool to Energy Efficiency (which is also cool) and Dehumidiferier... no objections by the machine...

ALL except that the cooling doesn't cool~! Now before I let the a/c unit jump all was good so I assume that the coolant didn't leak or that the screen or filter aren't dirty.

When I do select the Cool button, I do hear the compressor (?) wanting to kick in, but it gives up within seconds.

Any advice? Did I just reconnect the cable wrong? (black and green are deffinatly on right prongs) white, well not as certain but, again, I assume that no smoke means I didn't connect it wrong on the capsule like prongs... I don't understand why there are so many 'spare' prongs on this capsule or transformer.

This is a newer unit so age isn't a factor. Haier esa3069

colin

Reply to
cln

Might be that a lot of oil got up into the compressor. Was it running when you dropped it out the window?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

No it wasn't running. But this could be. How long would it need to sit for the oil to settle again? or does it have to be purged?

Reply to
cln

No it wasn't running. But this could be. How long would it need to sit for the oil to settle again? or does it have to be purged?

Reply to
cln

I just installed a new window AC and directions said not to turn it on for

24 hours in case in shipping it was turned upside down and oil got into wrong place. I followed instructions and it works OK. WW
Reply to
WW

Green is safety ground, should go to the case of the air conditioner, black is the "hot" lead. You didn't say where the cable came loose, just that you reconnected it. Maybe you got something wrong. More information needed about how the power cable came loose.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Let it sit a little longer than it was in the wrong position.

Reply to
Tony

Sorry, The AC was daggling by the the wire and had only tore the wire casing. The green, black, white looked good so I tested it with an ohm meter to see if it was broken. For this I had to detach the wire from the AC unit. When I was putting it back together, I knew where the ground went (yes casing) and black. But the White wire I'm not certain of. The capacitor has more than one prong available... I can't see it clearly either (too cramped), I think the best thing at this point is to check with the supplier for a wiring diagram and open up the machine more so I can see the inside of the controllers better.

WW I will also let it sit for a while before I turn it on. I do recall mine saying the same thing. I did have it on its side when I was reconnecting the wires and it was defiantly not 24h before I put it back up.

Called a local repair guy, he says the hardware store has some on sale this week! (basically and literaly)

Reply to
cln

Chances are it will be difficult to find a wiring diagram since these things are mostly made overseas and considered disposable. If the fan came on then it sounds like you got the wires back on correctly. I'm betting on the oil.

The capacitors are general purpose so have lots of lugs to accomidate various connections.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I don't know why you had to disconnect the wires to check for continuity. You go from the AC plug to where the wire terminates in the AC unit and check for continuity.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I didn't have to, at first I took it off to take it to the repair man but after some consideration and thinking these guys are going to charge me a min of 50$ just to look at it...I though I would look at it myself.

Update.. I have let the oil set overnight and the same is happening... fan runs, compressor engages but stops after a few seconds of trying so the unit is just pushing air, nothing cool.

Reply to
cln

I suppose it's possible that you hooked a wire up incorrectly. Sometimes appliances have a wiring diagram inside somewhere. Sometimes in an envelope glued inside the case.

The compressor has a safety overload switch inside it. It sounds like that is what is tripping.

Reply to
jamesgangnc