Do air conditioner units need to be level?

I have a house that has settled a bit and my a/c units outside are not level. I would say they are at 5-10 degrees from level. My brother-in-law tells me I shoulod fix this. Is there any truth to this? If so why?

Thanks.

Reply to
richard.beech

Can I assume they are window or through the wall units? There is a condensate pan in them and the water is collected and goes to the fan that will sling it onto the coil. This evaporates the water so it does not drip and helps to cool the unit. A few degrees is not a big deal, but if you see dripping, do something about it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I believe that OP is talking about outside central air units. I couldn't fathom window units not being level without window closure problems. I have been before and can be wrong now, but that is what I get from it. I don't think level is critical here although leveling them really shouldn't be too much of a problem. A pry bar and 4x4 piece should help raise the desired side, them pitch in some sand and recheck for level. I am assuming that the unit is sitting on a concrete slab. If not the "feet" can be levelled by using appropriate concrete pavers. Be carfeul not to rack the frame OR twist/bend or mishape the freon lines, you may not have alot of play with them so be careful.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I suspect that if it's not level, the bearings will be loaded unevenly and can wear faster. I think they're designed to be level. Small deviations probably don't make much difference. I know that when we had our most recent one installed, the guy who did the work seemed to think it was important -- he spent quite a bit of time making sure it was level, and I wasn't paying him by the hour.

Reply to
CJT

It is very important that any window unit NOT be level and here's why. When it rains the unit can channel water towards the house if it is leaning towards the wall. This can cause a lot of water damage. So, it is better to have the a/c be slanted slightly away from the house to avoid this situation. If you tried to get it dead level there would still be a chance that it could be nudged slightly towards the house.

I learned this the hard way when my window unit channelled rain water towards the house where it got into the wall cavity requiring me to demolish and replace all of the wall board and insulation in the damaged area. I now take great pains to make sure my a/c is leaning slightly away from the house. This obviously does not apply to outdoor compressors.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

thanks...they are outside central air units and i will do the pry bar trick and get them closer to level!!

Reply to
richard.beech

If you are talking about an outside condensor unit for a split or a packaged unit, check the bottom of the pan after a good rain and see if water is collecting in any area. If so you should level it to make sure that it drains off properly. If it is a packaged unit, make sure you check and reseal the supply and return duct work after you level the unit. You may break them loose.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher