AIR CONDITIONER CIRCUIT BREAKER

My air conditioner is on it's own circuit breaker due to the length of time we use it living in Texas. It had not "frozen up" before this happened, we cleaned the excess hair (from pets) from it last evening. It had not been on much today since the weather wasn't that bad for most of the day...just short bursts if needed. We keep it set anywhere between 75 and 80 degrees at all times during the summer. All of sudden, it stopped. It had not been on for long, maybe a half an hour, and not it died. I looked and the breaker had tripped. What would cause a breaker to trip? Would low freon do it, or is it a more serious problem. Any help with this would be appreciated. BTW all the other lights in the house are working.

Thanks Dakota

Reply to
Dakota

Depending on the age of the house (breaker box), breakers do wear over time and become more resistive. When you turn your AC on, it gets very hot and that's what typically causes breakers to trip. The breakers trip when they get hot due to overcurrent, or just old age.

Check the fan on the AC unit. If it is siezed or shorted that can trip the breaker. IF it is open and not running that can also trip the breaker by causing the compressor to draw to much current. After checking this replace the breaker if you can DIY it.

I have also heard that this can happen if the wire to the breaker is loosely connected. You may check to see if it is loose and or corroded and then try to tighten and/or replace it. Please whatever you do, remember to shut off all the power to the electrical box before you start tinkering around with the breakers.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
mikeytag

a power bump or brownout can also cause this....

my bet a breaker is going bad

Reply to
hallerb

Mike, Thank you for your quick reply since we are melting...:) Actually we did check the fan and all the inside workings of the air conditioner and the water (condensation)from all the humid weather we have, was overflowing the pan, hence hitting the wire and tripping the breaker. We thought after cleaning out all of the gook that had accumulated, all was fixed. It worked fine all evening,but tripped again this morning. We are going to replace the breaker today since it seemed loose, alot looser than all the others, plus the fact we are trying to dry out all the insides of the unit with just running the fan for the time being. So, it seems you were right on the money with your answer, all you had said was correct. We have been having brown outs here in Fort Worth & Dallas, it seems it is the electricity's company way of avoiding a total blackout. They had been shutting down the electricity in different parts of the city for about 15 minutes at a time, without warning I might add! It has caused major problems with refrigerator condensors and such, I will not even go into the computer problems it has caused for many businesses and home users. But of course, they have a deaf ear to the little man's problems and continue on their course of action, justifying it with it being for the greater good of all concerned. Yeah right! I will let you know if changing the breaker completes the process of the air staying on all the time and not tripping anymore. Thank you both who had answered, it did help alot and just knowing this forum is here for answers is a great relief....this house is old, so, I will probably be here for awhile...LOL. Dakota

Reply to
Dakota

Dakota, Glad to hear our advice helped you out. It sounds like replacing the breaker will completely solve the problem just as long as water isn't hitting a live wire anymore. :) Let us know how it works out when you do the replacement and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. We're all here to help each other out.

Mike

Reply to
mikeytag

Okay, I'll take the bait. Why in hell is the breaker- any breaker- in range of water condensate at the evaporator? They should all be in proper metal enclosure(s) protected from wetting by anything but area flooding.

Sounds like some electrician was a real hack, and you should investigate getting this rewired. Besides regular maintenance- drain clearing/filter changing/etc.

barry

I thought rolling blackouts were a California thing? Now Dallas, too?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

TinyURL was created!

The following URL:

s/wfaa060417_mo_blackouts.45dc451c.html

has a length of 99 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

Yep, you're right. 15 minute power cuts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Does make one wonder... Maybe hallerburton from another post was working on it

- he's a hack.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Actually I work safely, obviously you dont know power companues routinely put dead shorts in lines being worked on so linemen dont get killed.........

Reply to
hallerb