How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

I just got a Haier HPAC7M portable AC w/no manual. I opened it up and didn't
see where to add freon. I know each unit is different. I'm just looking for
a general idea of what to look for and where.
Reply to
Marc
Once you get the required license to do that type of work, you can get the diagram that shows you where.
Refrigeration is no longer a DIY job.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
Most window and portable type units do not have service ports in them. A licensed HVAC man can install ports so that gauges can be used. Without gauges and knowledge there is virtually nothing for DIY's to try beyond cleaning the coils.
The very fact you asked what you did says you do not have the gauges or the knowledge.
Reply to
DanG
This is a sealed system and is not equipted with service valves. Process tubes are Installed in Compressor Housings during manufacture for dehydration and charging and these are adapted by service technicians by the addition of an access valve. Access valves can be of various types frome line tap to a brazed schrader access port. Out of curiosity why do you want to add refrigerant to this Unit
Reply to
Telstra
You use a piercing valve on the process stub, or the suction line. I've recharged AC for myself, and for friends. It's not dificult if you have the EPA certificate, and some specialized tools and training.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com
If incorrectly work on the unit you could do more damage and if money is a issue then you might want to contact a local vocational school and see if you could drop off the unit so the students can check it out.
That way they get some experience and you can save some money.
Reply to
Moe Jones
i recomend you get an ac book at the library and study hvac before you work on it. ac systems are very simple but you need to have knowledge how they work , and service procedures. lucas
Reply to
ds549
Not to mention the equipment which virtually no homeowner has... -------------------------------- when my cousin retired from doing ac work, i found the ac companies allways wanted to replace the units rather than fix them, so i bought my own ac equipment and do it myself , the equipment isnt very expensive at all. lucas
Reply to
ds549
How much you wanna bet the OP will try and fix it anyway, even after all the warnings he's gotten here? :-)
Headline: "Doctors Remove AC Compressor from Area Man's Skull"
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom
What amount of money do you feel isn't very expensive?
Do you own a recovery machine and tank?
Reply to
<kjpro
Do the Pros seriously expect us to believe it's harder then recharging and automobile ?!? (which is common place) After all the braggadocios responces it's any wonder why we don't call for your paid help in the first place.
Reply to
Self sufficent
It is, because there are no connectors provided. Nothing to screw the hose to. I think cars lose more freon because they bounce around more.
Don't call me. I don't care, and I don't think Ed does either.
Reply to
micky
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:46:44 -0400, micky wrote:
If you just want to give it a spritz and pray, put a piercing valve in the low side and shoot some in. If this is a R134 system it is easy to get a little can of gas. I would not count on it for a permanent fix but it might get you through the season.
Reply to
gfretwell
Cars often loose the refrigerant because it is difficult to seal up the compressor shaft. A small unit that is powered by electricity is easier to make a sealed unit.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:36:27 -0400,
I don't know why I did it but last fall I added "freon" to the car I was borrowing from a friend. It was silly because the hot weather was almost over. I didn't use the whole can, the little cans they sell.
8 months later, I opened the valve a bit and there was still freon inside, under pressure, even though I thought the needle wihich punctured the top of the can wouldn't make a very good seal.
I shut the valve quickly. I suppose now that my car's working again, I shoudl put it in that. Een though the AC works well, I did have to add a can 2 years ago, so there's probably room to add more.
Reply to
micky
1) EPA certification required. Piercing valve, manifold gages, charge weight scale, and more.
2) Very often, poor cooling is caused by problems other than low freon. What's the discharge temp, the superheat, amp draw, and other data?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
The certification takes about 20 minutes on the internet and if this is using a modern gas, it is not even needed.
I doubt anyone is doing any of this on a window shaker. They are really like Bic lighters. You use them until they break and get a new one. If someone wanted to gamble a few bucks on a can of 134 to nurse another month or so out of it, why not. It won't take up any more space in the land fill.
Reply to
gfretwell

Site Timeline Threads