How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

i recomend you get an ac book at the library and study hvac before you work on it. ac systems are very simple but you need to have knowledge how they work , and service procedures. lucas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Not to mention the equipment which virtually no homeowner has...
Not to mention the equipment which virtually no homeowner has... -------------------------------- when my cousin retired from doing ac work, i found the ac companies allways wanted to replace the units rather than fix them, so i bought my own ac equipment and do it myself , the equipment isnt very expensive at all. lucas

How much you wanna bet the OP will try and fix it anyway, even after all the warnings he's gotten here? :-)
Headline: "Doctors Remove AC Compressor from Area Man's Skull"

What amount of money do you feel isn't very expensive?
Do you own a recovery machine and tank?
replying to Marc, kcwayne3 wrote: You wont find one its a sealed circuit
replying to Marc, Ante Seput wrote: Hmmmmm: All portable Units (AC) are Hermeticaly seal, adding gas is not seple as it may sound.One way is to open system add line tap and add the gas= not so good, one must know howmuch to add. Two remove all refrigerant and add OEM recommended amount not so good either, Best way buy new unit!!!!
replying to Ante Seput, jay m wrote: Up to $50,000.00 Federal fine for releasing/purging Freon to atmosphere.
replying to Marc, Pat wrote: Where is the freon recharge port for lg 0813wnr
replying to Marc, bill wrote: You dont i have bought 4 units so far, you can just throw them out. I went to a pro A/C guy and he said the freon cannot be replaced
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12:14:04 AM UTC-4, bill wrote:

Curious, did this pro give a reason that it can't be replaced? I thought it could be, it's just that it's not worth it because of the cost. And the cost is driven by the fact that if the refrigerant is gone, then it's leaking so it's likely that something, eg the evaporator is shot, so more than just recharging it is needed.
On 7/21/2019 12:14 AM, bill wrote:

Sure, it can be, but the cost would be more than the price of a new AC. There is a lot of time involved in doing so.
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 11:21:52 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There is NOT a lot of time involved in replacing the refrigerant. What may make it impractical is finding and repairing whatever leak released the ref rigerant in the first place. On a system like this, the actual installation of service valves, vacuuming and refilling is maybe an hour's work, Tops. (yes, I am licensed and yes I have the equipment).
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 11:46:36 AM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

y make it impractical is finding and repairing whatever leak released the r efrigerant in the first place. On a system like this, the actual installati on of service valves, vacuuming and refilling is maybe an hour's work, Tops . (yes, I am licensed and yes I have the equipment).
It may be just an hour, but what do you charge for an hour of time? That plus the cost for the fittings, refrigerant? That alone makes it impractic al when you can buy a 5K to 8K BTU new one for $120 to $150.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

I have the equipment).

While not a lot is involved, it is impractical price wise.
First you have to install the valves to recharge it . That requires breking the line. Not sure how you would recover the refrigerent left in the system,but that is required by law. Put a vacuum on the system and recharge it. Find the leak which may or may not be easy to get to and repair. After finding the leak, recover the refrigerent and repair the leak. If the line is aluminum, it may be difficult. Pull the vacuum and recharge the system and retest.
I doubt that could be done in an hour. I have no idea what a standard repair charge is per hour for labor. If it is anywhere like what I was charged when the man came out and just spent 10 minuits replacing a motor capacitior on my heat pump ( about $ 300), you could buy 3 or 4 new units.
I doubt the repair man would even repair his own dehumidifier if he had any work at all to do.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:58:41 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

If you make up your mind this is a throw away anyhow you could just buy a piercing valve and shoot in some R134 (walmart car area). It might not be the right refrigerant and it might not last long but if it blows cold air until you get around to buying a new one it might work for you. Squirt in a little, wait a few minutes, try it, repeat until it is blowing cold air. Too much is as bad as not enough. A whole can is probably too much unless it is totally empty. I did that with an old fridge and it lasted until I moved to Florida (a few years). For all I know it may still be working but I really doubt it.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 12:56:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

With 134 it's likely only about 4 ounces - or a quarter can. I did an old fridge years ago with the pierce valve and R22 - topped it up about 4 times from one can of refrigerant over a period of mabee 2 years - then scrapped it.
On 7/21/2019 11:46 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

A new AC can be $129 and up. Do you have the fittings needed on hand? You are going to nitrogen braze them right? If you are doing this in an hour you are not doing a very good job on vacuum.
Do do it right, what is a fair price?
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:46:32 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

And at your retail rate that would save the customer what? about $15? Repeat next year because the leak was not found and fixed??
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 2:02:12 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:

.

ay make it impractical is finding and repairing whatever leak released the refrigerant in the first place. On a system like this, the actual installat ion of service valves, vacuuming and refilling is maybe an hour's work, Top s. (yes, I am licensed and yes I have the equipment).

WTF? Nobody here can read? Let me help you with the second sentence of what I wrote: "What may make it impractical is finding and repairing whatever leak released the refrigerant in the first place."
There is also the matter of not sending more crap to a landfill...