How to cut padlock with hardened shank?

What does it take to cut a padlock off? I'm talking about the "diskus" type of lock on the door of a self-storage garage, where I need a small cutting tool.

Reply to
Em

Presuming you have a legitimate reason to do this and therefore do not need to avoid attracting attention, the easiest way is with an abrasive cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. Makes a lot of noise and sparks and you need to get power for it, but it makes short work of hardened steel.

Reply to
Pete C.

You break the weakest link, which usually isn't the lock. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I cut a lot of these off when I had a welding business. The "hockey puck" lock is formidable. They are tough. The best way is with a thin wheeled abrasive cutter, like a Makita 14,000 die grinder. Careful cutting through the openings will get it. You can also do it with a regular angle grinder, but you have to remove more metal.

The removal of these locks was with the permission and presence of the manager. I found the die grinder to be superior to the angle grinder, but one has to be very careful not to get things in a bind, or it either seriously kicks or shatters a blade.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A key is it, since it aint your lock

Reply to
ransley

Well it wernt my lock but it be mine now.

A key is it, since it aint your lock

Reply to
Em

Spoken like a jerk

Reply to
ransley

; If the storage facility has locked you out of your unit, you are guilty of 'breaking and entering' if you cut the lock. if this is the case, pay your rent and you won't need to mess with the lock. And possibly risk some well deserved jail time and a nasty record. If you inadvertently used the lock as an extra on your unit, ask management to help you remove it. They have the tools and expertise and would appreciate not having some bumbling hack damage their door hardware. In any case, the presence of the lock is not a problem for an honest person.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

a local value city store closed i worked part time helping with the fixture liquidation.

the employees lockers were a big hassle, many left them with padlocks on.

padlock quality must of improved, i managed to dull and ruin 3 bolt cutters.........

so that problem is left for the new tenants, who will likely give the poor condition lockers to a scrap guy.

the boss decided it wasnt worth any more time and money, and didnt want the lockers any more damaged than they were

Reply to
hallerb

A Dremel, Roto-Zip, or small die grinder with an abrasive cutoff wheel cuts them very easily and quickly.

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you may be able to run a Dremel from an inverter plugged into your car's

12V.(battery powered Dremels are pretty weak)
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I bought a Ryobi 18 volt "roto-zip" type tool a couple of years ago. Not very expensive, lots more power, and it uses all the dremel attachments I had collected over the years. I get a lot of use out of it, and for most jobs, the size and weight compared to the old dremel is not a problem. It doesn't stall out when loaded, either. Uses the same universal (One +) 18 volt batteries that all of their other tools use.

This one:

Reply to
salty

cutting torch. acytelene sixteenths, gas ax, blue tipped chisel.

S. Barker

replying to Em, TERRENCE wrote: CASE HARDENED HACK SAW BLADE,

Reply to
TERRENCE

(Electric) angle grinder. That's what my friend who ran a ministorage used. Well, her handyman used.

Reply to
micky

plasma torch

Reply to
danny burstein

Arc welder turned up to 175 amps worked for me many years back ( with the managers OK )

Reply to
Mark

Not always true. Our storage rental manager and the headquarters told us that the puck style lock is never removed. If we need help then we have to call a locksmith or welder. Glad I asked for a response from them in writing at least, hardware damage was my number one concern.

Reply to
DiscLockWoes