How to cut through hard cut nails?

We're remodelling a basement and need to remove hard cut (masonry) nails that are along side a window. There is no way to reach the nails with a hammer, so pulling them out or pounding them flush is not an option. (They are in the concrete block wall around a window frame and we need to remove them to slide sheetrock or paneling into the space.)

Are there saw blades that will cut through them?

Reply to
JA

Grind them off.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Reply to
bamboo

Good Sawzall blades (Milwaukee "Torch", Various Lennox blades) will do it as will an abrasive wheel in an angle grinder.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Oh, you could eventually worry through them w/ a Sawzall, but you'll have far better success w/ a rotary grinder/cutoff wheel....

Of course, access _can_ be made to anything, so pulling is always an option. After all, it's only a cosmetic repair left to be made... :)

Reply to
dpb

Cold chisel and hammer. Give them a good whack near the block. Be careful.. a flying "cut nail" will hurt (experience).

-- Oren

Oren

If they are cut nails (rectangular in shape) you can hit them from the sides (back and forth) they will break right off (very easily).

-Lee

Reply to
flb51notthis

I will *always* strike a cut nail in a direction away from me. They are dangerous; myself having one hit me, bouncing off the block wall (first aid). One good strike should snap it at the block wall.

I hit one direction, maybe twice if necessary.

-- Oren

Oren

Bending them back and forth with a vise grip will break them off. Grab them as close to the cement as possible.

Reply to
Father Haskell

How many? For two or three, consider a Dremel.

Reply to
HeyBub

Get a right angle grinder with a wafer blade and use that to slice them off. Eye protection of course. Ears too, unless you're already deaf.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

There's no way to get a grinder near them. I have about a 3/4" clearance.

Reply to
JA

How about something like this? Works in tight places and generate a bunch of pulling force.

Reply to
# Fred #

Can you get a Sawzall blade in there? If so, that would cut them off quickly. You would want the blade made for steel.

--James--

Reply to
James

You would want a carbide-grit blade, actually. Those things are pretty hard, and they'll take the teeth off of a normal blade.

Reply to
Doug Miller

there are sawzall blades that are carbide coated that will work. they are like tile cutting holesaws that have carbide fragments bonded to them.

Bob

Reply to
DIMwit

If you have a Dremel-style tool, there is a flexible-neck attachment for many of the models that would allow you to get into a tight space with one of those universal mini-disks, you know: the ones that grind, sand, cut through everything and make julienne fries. I've had great success cutting through all manner of screws, nails and other fasteners with a small rotary tool and those disks.

Of course, as others have warned, please, PLEASE wear eye protection as those disks will throw off sparks and chips as they cut.

Reply to
Kyle

Grab 'em with pliers and rock 'em and bend 'em. They will pull free or break.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

We've already tried the cold chisel and hammer method (while wearing goggles). Due to the angle, I guess, it didn't work. Next step will be to try the other suggestions posted. There's very little clearance, and we don't want to remove the window if we can avoid it.

Reply to
JA

Reply to
just me again