Broken sprinkler valve

I don't know much about sprinkler systems, but I know mine is broken. I just turned it on and the main valve is leaking. There is a bell- like thing on top and the water us gushing out from underneath that bell. Is that something that can be repaired or do I just need to find someone to replace the valve?

Reply to
jneiberger

Lacking the experience, call a professional. But for your own enlightenment. ask if they mind if you observe the repair process unobtrusively.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Not sure from the description, but maybe that's your pressure vacuum breaker acting up. If so, here's a site that walks you through the Spring start up:

RicodJour

You have a broken Vacuum Relief valve. Some of the brass ones are rebuildable, some are not. The plastic ones are most often not. If you left it out in the winter and it froze, that's what caused the problem. You're supposed to remove them and bring them inside.

You can buy a new one online at any sprinkler supplier. If you have basic plumbing skills, you can install it yourself.

Reply to
Rick-Meister