What is the name of the valve on a 1 pound propane cylinder

What is the correct technical name for the valve that is on the refillable (DOT 4BA) or non-refillable (DOT 39) indoors one pound propane cylinders?

I've been googling like crazy where I found the names of all the others. (1) POL (what they put on the old 100 gallon propane tanks) (2) ACME (what they put on the newer propane tanks) (3) OPD (overfill protection device, what's on most 20 pound tanks) (4) QCC Type 1 === Quick Closing Coupling (approved for use indoors)

But what's the name for the valve on the one-pound cylinders? (5) Prima ? === needle control valve?

The reason it matters is I'm researching adapters to use my 500 pound tank to refill all the rest of the tanks, which are legal to refill.

Reply to
Tamborino

By that you're agreeing nobody seems to know the name of the fitting. But I have trouble believing that as there MUST be a technical name for it!

If you look at those results you'll see why I said I was "googling like crazy" and I still haven't found out the name for that (female) valve that is on the top of a one-pound propane tank or its (male) equivalent.

Some people call it a Schrader valve but they are confusing the pressure relief (which is usually on the side of the crown) with the central valve.

If you look at the first item that shows up in that search, it shows well my dilemma since they only give one side of the adapter a real name.

"Inlet: 3/8 in. Flare Fitting Male QCC (ACME) Fitting: 16.4 oz. (1 lb.) Propane Tank Fitting"

The second item uses what "seems to be" a non-standard item number for it.

"GasOne 50180 Refill Adapter for 1lb Propane Tanks" I don't see any other references that claim it's a "50180 valve", do you?

The 3rd item also shows why I said I was "googling like crazy" to no avail.

"Tank refill adapter includes: female throwaway cylinder thread x soft nose P.O.L."

Just as with all the above, they just make up a _different_ name each time, as you can see in this fourth item from Walmart.

"Refill one pound propane tanks"

Note that I would never have said I "googled like crazy" if I hadn't seen these descriptions (and many others) that basically make up a name for the one pound propane cylinder valve.

If anyone knows the technical name for the female valve that is in the center of most one pound propane tanks, please let me know. Thanks!

Reply to
Tamborino

We usually called them propane bottles if that matters. Once in awhile it was a propane cylinder. Is this at all what you're after?

Dean Hoffman

Scott Lurndal

Thanks for the advice for referring to the one pounders as bottles or cylinders, and not tanks. The link you provided shows my "googling like crazy" dilemma as each outfit gives the female valve a homespun name.

In the first link, they call it a "needle control valve", which is an accurate mechanical description but which conveys no physical values.

The next link calls it something else altogether which, at "1lb Propane Gas Bottle Cylinder Refill Adapter Thread" is actually wrong because it's not only a thread but the specific combination of a thread and a hollow pin.

Most of the rest were similar but notice they're just making the name up. I'm sure it has a name. It must.

Reply to
Tamborino

I don't quite get what you're after. One could MacGyver one of these to use for filling the one pound bottle if you want a way to shut off the flow.

OR

Dean Hoffman

(Actually you do - as you "solved" the conundrum... I think... see below!)

I found out the names of all the _other_ valves, but this one. The only thing I'm after is the official name of the valve.

EDIT: I think it's CGA-600 based on your suggestion but it's not here.

Yes. I know. You don't even need to MacGyver it as they sell 'em online.

Most people call it a "one pound tank valve" or a "one pound tank needle control valve", both of which are sufficient to find adapter parts.

But I'm looking for the actual _name_ of that valve. It _must_ have a name for the USA valve. (They always do.)

Your link shows it might be a CGA-600 or a C-10 perhaps.

Looking at those two links

and
I _love_ that it's an ALL-BRASS torch (I hate the plastic crap they have nowadays) labeled "BLUEFIRE Solid Brass Jumbo Pencil Flame Gas Welding Torch Head Nozzle Upgraded Full Metal Version Fuel by MAPP MAP Pro Propane CGA600 Cylinder Bottle (Torch Only)"

Where maybe that MT-200 "Propane CGA600" is the valve classification?

Googling for "Propane CGA600 Cylinder Bottle", the first hit looks like we're getting closer to what the name of the fitting might be.

"14.1oz PG14 CGA-600 Non-Refillable Propane Cylinder"

Where another hit showed something called a "B-Adapter" possibly related.

"B-Adaptor - Adaptor for B-Torch from USA CGA 600 thread (outlet on cylinder) to EU 7/16 (adapter for B-Torch)"

If nothing else, that last link has beautiful photographic closeups. So does this related site for "CGA600 connector with control valve to 1/4″ NPT (NGPME833)"

So we now have "PG14" and "CGA-600" as possible keywords. More ferocious googling nets me a more complete description.

"The CGA 600 Adapter is used on non-reactive gas cylinders for connecting Fixed Flow regulators, Demand Flow Regulators, Trigger Regulators, Push button Regulators and Multi Flow Regulators. Adapts the any Litre-bottle male thread connection (CGA600) to the any litre-bottle/regulator female thread connection (C10)."

The only thing left is to figure out if the CGA-600 includes the pin?

I think it does include the hollow needle (but I'm not 100% sure yet).

BTW, who knew there were two different 'grades' of propane! HD-5 = consumer grade propane (max 5% propylene) HD-10 = commercial grade propane (max 10% propylene)

Tamborino

Thanks for that patent, which, at first, I didn't get why you sent it, but then, once I added information from Dean Hoffman, I then understood.

That patent talked about the valve which is probably a CGA-600.

The patent says "the threads are configured for connecting outlet connector to appliances meeting the CGA 600 specifications such as conventional soldering torches and camp stoves and lanterns."

When I looked up CGA-600, bingo... I think that's it!

BTW, the typical blue DOT 39 propane tank is likely a PG-14 14-oz tank.

I don't know what they call the dark green DOT-39 (non-refillable) Bernzomatic or Coleman one-pound propane tanks but they seem to use the same CGA600 needle valve.

The light green refillable DOT 4BA is maybe a YSN164-2 16.4 oz tank.

Since it seems only Flame King makes the refillable one pounders.

BTW, this is a nice brass torch that came up in CGA-600 searches.

Flame King manufacture VERY CLEARLY says they EXPECT you to refill them by yourself, at home, using your twenty pound tanks & and adapter.

They even provide a training manual for normal people like us.

Their training manual even has a Q&A section (without the answers!).

Tamborino

A bunch cut.

I knew there are grades of diesel fuel and gasoline but always thought propane was ungraded. Diesel fuel for off road use is untaxed and dyed. The dye is to keep all of those honest truckers honest. The propane to fuel farm furnaces, grain dryers, and irrigation power units came out of the same truck. I knew one farmer who had a propane powered tractor. It was too much of a hassle to fuel it even though propane is the cleanest burning fuel.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I came up with both primus and colman, no e.

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks for helping out as there's no one web page with what is being asked.

Anything I say in this thread can be wrong, but I "think" the Primus is the brand of a stove which uses a "Lindal" valve - but I could easily be wrong.

But there are so many valves for propane, that I'm still confused.
that has a "EN417 Lindal valve", whatever that is.

Here's the full description of that item with the "Lindal" valve. "Camping Stove Adapter 1 Lb Propane Small Tank Input EN417 Lindal Valve Output Cylinder LPG Canister Adapter/Flat Canister to 1L MAPP Gas Tank Adapter Input: EN417 Canister Output: Propane Gas Stove"

And then, there is a "propane stove Z20" fitting also, apparently.

Just trying to make sense of this is driving me nuts. But I do think it's spelled "Col(e)man", isn't it?

When I looked for who makes the propane bottles, these came up. (a) Coleman (with the "e") (dark green) (b) Bernzomatic (dark green) (c) Flame King (light green) (d) Worthington (really dark green, almost brown) (e) Bluefire (green & blue)

Examples on Amazon of each are below (a)
BTW, have you ever seen a 3.85 oz refillable propane bottle like this one?

Tamborino

Dean Hoffman wrote on 10.06.2023 00:02

I don't own a diesel engine but does that mean I can buy 5 gallons of diesel for a generator without having to pay the road taxes on it? How?

Reply to
Patron Saint

I've seen off-road diesel pumps at stations. I can't recall where since I have no need for it. It's just a separate pump like the non-ethanol 91 octane.

Reply to
rbowman

Companies like the farmer's coops deliver to farms. I've seen separate pumps for it at the coop stations. Farmers of my dad's generation could buy non taxed gasoline for off road. I don't remember if he had to get special permits and such. It's doubtful places like Casey's would carry anything without the tax included. I don't know what road construction crews and such do to get untaxed fuel for their equipment.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The ME491 from Marshall Excelsior is a camping style propane adapter. One end of the adapter is a 1 inch-20 Male fitting, (the type of OUTLET fitting you find on a disposable 1-lb propane bottle, sometimes referred to as a Colman or Primus type fitting). The other end of the adapter is a 3/8 inch Male Flare.

Thomas

ChatGPT was no help.

The valve on a 1 lb disposable propane cylinder is commonly known as a "disposable cylinder valve". This message has been generated by Nova - download it for free:

Thomas

Thanks for looking it up as this wasn't an easy google by any means.

While that "Disposable Propane Cylinder Adapter, 1-20 Male x 3/8 Male Flare, Valved" fitting doesn't have the hollow pin, I think it tries to replicate the OUTSIDE THREADS of the typical one pound propane tank.

If that's correct, at least we know the threads are 1-20, which I guess is one inch by 20 threads per inch. Does that seem like a good guess as to what the one pound propane bottle threads are?

How do you use ChatGPT anyway? I only recently heard about it. Where do you go to ask it a question?

I think we have a pretty good idea that it's a CGA-600 valve by now, thanks to Dean Hoffman and Scott Lurndal who posted excellent hints.

The valve summary might be something like this improved listing. (1) POL (old 100 gallon tanks, named for the original manufacturer) (2) ACME (what they put on the newer >100 gallon ASME propane tanks) (3) OPD (Overfill Protection Device, triangular handle, 5 to 33 pounds) (4) QCC Type 1 (Quick Closing Coupling which is on most generators) (5) CGA-600 (one pound or less in size, contains hollow center post) (6) Z20 (used on burner equipment such as a camping cooking grill) (6) EN417 Lindal (used on smaller burners such as a camping Primus stove)

Don't take that summary as gospel just yet. It's subject to change.

Reply to
Tamborino

It is a cga600 fitting with a schrader valve.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I don't think that's accurate.

I think it's a 1-inch by 20 threads per inch UNEF-Male CGA 600 fitting (100 mm x 200 mm x 35 mm tall) which, for a propane bottle, also comes with a thick hollow post as part of the check-valve (which nobody would call a schrader valve).

I do not know if the hollow post is part of the CGA 600 spec though but that post is huge in diameter compared to a typical schrader pin.

However, there is a separate schrader safety overpressure valve on the crown of the tank.

Everyone would call that separate overpressure safety valve a schrader valve because that's what it is.

But I can't find a cutaway diagram of the cga 600 to confirm what I said.

Ken Blake

Check these Compressed Gas Association CGA valve cutaway views out.

Nick Agostini