Valve - name?

What is the name for the valve that prevents gravity circulation into the heating system on an old system that uses gravity DHW Circulation and pumped C/H. Searched for Anti Gravity without success.

Looking for something as an interim measure to prevent upstairs radiators getting warm when pump isn't running. Next year - new system

Reply to
John

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:19:26 GMT, "John" mused:

Anti-gravity or check valve?

Reply to
Lurch

A spring check non return valve would probably stop it. Having tried that, I'd suggest a 2-port zone valve. Thermostat & timer in series operate actuator, the end limit switch closes and starts pump. Re-use it next year with another one on the new system, instead of a 3-port mid-position valve (unless it is to be a combi).

Reply to
Onetap

Check valve - probably a single check valve will do in that application.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

gravity check valve or swing valve I think - look at

if you use a single check spring check valve as others have suggested take out the spring or it'll make a devil of a noise with the pump trying to push water past it. On some designs it's quite easy to remove the spring: others are next to impossible, so check beforte buying. The type intended for a shower (1/2" BSP female * male) might do (though not really intended for CH temperatures)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Single check and double check valves

(Part Nos 8149, 8151, etc) are intended for back flow prevention and would probably have excessive resistance or wouldn't tolerate the temperature for this application.

You could fit a swing check valve ( Part No 7518, etc). I fitted one to stop gravity flow once. It didn't work, the convection drove the water past it as though it wasn't there. It's usually only a problem with boilers of a high thermal mass.

Spring check valves ( Part No 7521, etc) are often used to stop gravity circulation. I've never heard of the spring causing noise problems. I fitted a zone valve and would do the same again.

Reply to
Onetap

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

Dribble Valve; sometimes known as a John or Adam. Care should be taken when installing as they're likely to get screwed up.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon