price of propane

How come Amazon is charging $38 for 3 14-ounce cans of propane

one else is much cheaper, except

Walmart is charging $3.58, less than 1/3rd the price, even though buying a smaller quantity

Home Depot dosn't even list 14-ounce cans! And I think Lowe's doesn't either.

Reply to
micky

$10.99 each, maximum 3 per purchase on sale at Canadian Tire - Canadian dollars. Something fishy about the Wally World price.

16 oz Coleman at Home Despot Canada about $5.50 eash in 4 pack (4 for $21.99) Bernzomatic 14 is $8.77.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Buy a 20 pound cylinder for about $ 35, fill it for $15 and get an adapter to fit it and the small tank and refill them for a lot less. Lots less expensive and you only have the $ 35 tank to pay for once. Then it is $ 15 or less per refil of the 20 pound tank.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

As long as your small tank is goof and has a good valve - many LEAK after one or 2 uses. (even if NOT refilled -_-

Reply to
Clare Snyder

What's that big ball of flame? Micky headed for low earth orbit.

Reply to
rbowman

I just paid $21.99 for a 6-pack of 16 (sixteen) oz Coleman cylinders at BJ's Wholesale club.

Gotta be a member.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have found that the refilled cylinders don't really get filled as full and don't seem to perform as well as freshly bought tanks. Maybe there is less pressure.

I've chilled the tanks as recommended, turned everything upside, even tried the "release some pressure and fill 'em again" technique. They are just not the same.

Cheaper, yes. Perfect, no.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I spoke to a HVAC guy in the mid-west a few weeks ago. We were talking about someone that needed a new dryer. The house used propane for the kitchen stove and gas fireplace, but the old dryer was electric.

Gas dryers are usually about $100 more than the same model in electric and they say that a typical family can make up the $100 in a couple of years, depending on usage, of course.

What we were trying to figure out was how long it would take the couple to re-coup the cost of running a pipe to the laundry room, paying $100 more a NG dryer and then converting the dryer to propane.

He said that that is a tough thing to determine because he has seen the cost of propane range from $1.50 a gallon to over $4.00 a gallon and back down to $2-ish year over year. NG fluctuates somewhat, but not like that, so it's easier to calculate the payback period.

Maybe the range of prices we're discussing in this thread are based on when the inventory was purchased as well as where.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

The newer OPD tanks will NOT pass gas or liquid when inverted and that's the only way to get any gas into the small cylinder . The only way this will work is if you have an older non-OPD tank . WE have been paying like under 9 bucks for a refill on a 20 lb cylinder . We're expecting delivery of a 250 gallon tank soon (buying , not leasing because we use so little) and I was refused when I asked for a liquid tap on the new tank . Seems there are laws against doing this at home because of the danger ...

Reply to
Snag

Maybe, but a lot of stores, especially Amazon, would mention something like that in the ad. "Special shipping included"

By golly, but when I searched on propane it wasn't there!

Abnd it's only 40 cents more than walmart.

Reply to
micky

A bit pricey but you can always use a forklift tank that comes with a liquid and vapor port.

Larry

I just did a swap at Walmart for gas for gas grill and it was $6 more at HD than I paid at Walmart, $14.97.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I put 2 x 16 oz. propane camping bottles on my amazon . ca < Amazon Canada > shopping cart - < hope the link works ? > .. but I might check the local hardware store before buying on amazon ..

Most things are more expensive in Canada, even after the currency exchange .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

When swapping the tanks, you hve to make sure how much is in the tanks. It has been reported that some companies only put about 15 pounds in the tanks that are made to hold 20 pounds.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Doh - my bad - it was 2 x 6 packs = 12 16 oz. bottles.

Still = $ 40. per bottle .. uh huh ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Actually no LAW against refilling, but illegal to "transport" a refilled container - and I guess they say you can't legislate intelligence either.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yup - definitely.

On a slightly fidderent note ---

I needed a 1/4 x 3 inch pipe nipple yesterday - $7.99 for galvanized, $7.49 for black iron, and $3.85 for stainless steel at Marks' Supply (local wholesaler)

They were $1.99 last year for black iron.

Two guesses which one I bought!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I just get mine refilled at a local propane depot. The trade tanks are a rip-off unless you have an expired tank and manage to trade for an up-to-date one

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Did not bother. The swapped tanks I have seen before said 16 lb or about 4 gallons. I have complained about this before, even state ag with no response.

Slightly annoying but I don't grill that much and a tank lasts over a year and I always have an extra full tank on hand.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Theoretically you could fill a small tank only using the vapor if you had the small tank in ice water and the big tank was at a summer time ambient, maybe in the sun. The vapor would condense in the cooler tank. The problem is you can get them too full. If it is all liquid, there is no room for expansion. That is why a 20 pound tank only holds around 18 pounds (assuming the guy isn't cheating by cracking the valve). That is what prompted the OPD in the first place.

Reply to
gfretwell