Propane personal camp stove

There's a kid in my family who wants to go on hiking trips of a couple of days. Nothing really fancy requiring special light-weight equipment, but he'll be on public land where you can't scavenge wood for a fire (nor would they take kindly to smelling wood smoke) so he needs a personal camp stove for cooking food and maybe for keeping a bit warm on the colder nights.

I'm thinking of getting him a small one-man propane stove for Christmas. Any suggestions based on your own experience?

I've already got some reviews from this lookup, but I am seeking personal experience here from those of you who have a small personal camp stove.

Wolf Greenblatt

Try this one. It can use a butane cartridge in a hidden compartment behind the turning knob, but it also comes with adapter hose to use propane canisters. It comes with a carrying case also.

invalid unparseable

My fav from canoe tripping days < where weight was a factor > was a tri-pod style 1 burner it had 2 sturdy fixed legs and the propane tank formed the third leg. A simple little valve to control the flame ; light as a feather and stable. It was a god-send when you wanted a hot drink in a hurry and firewood was all wet. For night-time warmth a good foam-filled sleeping mat < not air only mattress > and good sleeping bag. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I think of something like this for backpacking:

micky

That style - where your pot of boiling water or frying pan full of food is balancing on the base of the fuel can .. seems just a little precarious .. I'd want something more stable. .. although there are optional base attachments for those.

This is similar to mine :

No attachments needed. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I have one of these. It takes the standard bottles you can find anywhere rather than some specialized canister. It regulates nicely rather than some which go from off to blow torch.

The downside is the bulk if he's backpacking. While it has an ample base it does have a tall profile and you have to exercise a little care. Some of the squat types may be more stable but you still can't just throw a pot on them. It needs a match or some other way to light it. I'm guessing we're not talking winter mountaineering but propane/butane stoves don't work as well when it's cold or a high elevations.

fwiw, if you do go that route Walmart has a 'Ozark Trails' house brand that is less expensive than the Coleman name. I haven't used their stove but a single mantle propane lanp has worked okay.

Not what you asked for but

amazon.com/Trangia-327508-TRANGIA-28-T-Mini/dp/B000LN7HUC

is what i use most these days. The burner nests in the pot/frying pan and I thow in a ferro to keep everything together. It does require carrying a bottle of alcohol but that can be standard hardware store alcohol. A nice feature is it is absolutely silent.

Reply to
rbowman

Here's my exact model - from canoe tripping days :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The gas adapter head and the rickety legs will break if you put a large pot of water on the stove.

My recommendation is the best. It is sturdy, and it won't tip over to pour the whole pot of boiling water on you.

invalid unparseable

Wow! A 4 lb for a stove for hiking?

I will pass.

Reply to
Bob F

To each his own, but when we would carry our 75 lb. canoe and all our gear and provisions over the portages in Algonquin Park every pound counted ! The legs on that little burner are plated steel and will easily hold anything that a sane person would try to put on it. John T.

Reply to
hubops

To go along with you cast iron backpacking dutch over?

Reply to
Bob F

oven

Reply to
Bob F

I have an old one that looks like this one:

It would be the lightest one to carry.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Plus the weight of the propane tank, too, I think.

The only problem with it that I see is that it's tilted a bit. That means you'll have to find a hill to camp on.

Reply to
micky

Likely level with a BernzoMatic tank - or easy enough to bend the 2 legs into a slight bow to level it with the Coleman tank - or use a small rock or stick under the tank - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's what the make mules for.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm a little skeptical about the

Item Weight ‎0.01 Kilograms

The tank will be about 2 lbs when full.

The Esbits are the lightest option but they do have limitations. They go well with freeze dried pouches.

Reply to
rbowman