price of propane

That is all you get with Blue Rhino

Reply to
gfretwell

I think Blue Rhino says how much is in the tank somewhere down in the fine print on the label but the places that refill charge $17-18 for

18 pounds and BR at Walmart is $15 for 15 pounds so it is a wash. If you are where they charge $20 for a swap, it is a ripoff.
Reply to
gfretwell

I have mine filled at the propane store for under 10 bucks per 20 lb tank . I'll be using a lot fewer of those when they get the 250 gallon tank installed .

Reply to
Snag
[snip]

Once when I had a tank refilled, I had weighed the tank before and after the filling. I had gotten a whole 20 pounds for the price of 15 in an exchange.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Many places now meter and charge by the gallon. Much more fair if you still have some in the tank and can't get a full fill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is no place nearby that even gets close to that. They are all camp grounds and camp grounds screw their customers every chance they get. Walmart BR is the best deal within 20 miles

Reply to
gfretwell

My Blue Rhino tank says 15 lb as does the AmeriGas one I just saw at the supermarket for $20.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You really don't want the whole 20 and with the OPD, you will never get it. They usually want at least 10% for expansion. Best case is if it is completely full the expansion will vent to air out the relief valve and you just add some global warming. Worst case, it doesn't ... like kaboom. With the OPD, if they do manage to tilt it the right way and over fill it, the gas won't come out unless you tilt it the right way when you use it. It is a float valve..

Reply to
gfretwell

One smart thing I did when this house was being built was to have NG piped for the grill. Not only cheaper, never have to fart around with tanks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is good if you can get it. Where I live there is no gas line near by.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

U-Haul in my area does that. Problem is, you have to wait in line with everyone renting some type of equipment. Then you have to go outside, wait for someone to become available to fill the tank, give you a slip with amount dispensed and go back inside to pay. You don't have to wait in the line again, but you do have to wait until a counter person finishes up with whoever they are currently dealing with. I don't have the patience for that.

I have 2 tanks and have them filled at BJ's for the flat rate, but not until they are totally empty. I always have a full spare available.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

My local BJ's charges $8.99 for members, $11.99 for non-members, flat rate, to fill a 20 lb tank. They are quick about it too. You pay at the tire shop and they send a guy out by the time you get out to the refill station. I never have to carry the tank more than 10 feet. That's tough to beat.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

No Nat Gas here and unlikely to get here. They are pretty reluctant to run gas pipe into old neighborhoods because nobody is willing to buy all new appliances. In new construction it is easier. The rule seems to be you need three things on gas to get gas. With no furnaces that can be a problem for them. Water heater, range and what? Getting gas to my grill is going to be tough. In the community my wife ran they had gas to the club house but it didn't get out into the neighborhood very far just because of that.

Reply to
gfretwell

The BJs I used in MA filled them at the tire department. Never had to wait more than a few minutes. Paid by the gallon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Fortunately, every house in our development has gas. Water heater, range as minimum but we also chose dryer and grill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I piped NG to my deck for the BBQ too - still keep 2 tanks of propane around for the generator (which WILL also run on NG but I should have run at least 3/4" pipe instead of 1/2")

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Funny you should mention generators . One of the things I'm doing when the new tank arrives is installing a tee to run a line for a generator . I haven't decided whether to convert my 5500 watt generator to LPG or buy a larger one that will also power the electric water heater . Either way it will be wired into the main panel rather than back-feeding from the shop sub panel .

Reply to
Snag

My dealer puts the tank on a scale ...

Reply to
Snag

My brother is getting a Generac whole house generator. He currently has a tank for a gas fireplace but is getting a larger tank to include the generator and his gas grill. The whole set up is for about 8 grand. I think the generator itself is $5,000 if you wanted to do it yourself.

I have been considering going in that direction myself as my generator is 15 years old. If it fails and I need to replace it I may do that.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

When going to a whole house generator you do need to think of how much fuel it will use. You will need a very large tank as it may burn through over 40 pounds a day if ran all the time.

I have had a 5 kw gasoline for a good number of years and have used it very little. About 3 years ago I bought a 4 kw dual fuel one. My thinking is to only use it with propane for the short time I have needed one in the past, but if the power is out for days to switch to the gas unit for more power. I do not have natural gas at the house,so can not pipe any of that in.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery