Dirt cheap way to transport dirt a hundred feet uphill (and a thousand feet in distance)

I have a lot of soil downhill about fifty to a hundred feet in height (and about five hundred to a thousand feet in distance) that I'd like to move.

Also, there are piles of wood chips a neighbor wants to get rid of that I could use on my property which are about a half mile away, also downhill.

But... (a) I don't have a pickup (b) I don't even have a vehicle with a hitch or a roof rack (c) And, I don't have a trailer to tie on with rope either

What's a CHEAP (like dirt cheap $50) way to transport the stuff? (Probably the answer doesn't exist as nothing is ever gonna be cheap.)

The stuff isn't worth me buying a pickup, adding a hitch, or trailer.

But maybe there is an idea out there that is cheap? Maybe a way to use garbage cans with wheels somehow? Or towing a wheel barrow?

Any ideas? Remember, the stuff itself isn't worth paying more than about $50.

Reply to
Mickey D

Consider renting a light truck from some place like U-Haul or Home Depot.

Reply to
Dennis Kane

Any sort of cart or wagon that won't fall apart will cost more than that. Ancient people built Cahokia Mounds with probably nothing but backpacks. I'm guessing your time is worth something.

Dean Hoffman

Trade a neighbor with a pickup truck a case of beer.

Rent a truck.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Whenever you go out, when you come home, walk though the dirt and you will track it on to your land when you get home. No extra cost at all.

Tell your friends with trucks that they can have 10% of all the soil they carry to your place.

Sorry, I guess these are not very good ideas.

In Baltimore, one of the long streets is Rolling Road. Tobacco farmers would roll hogsheads of tobacco miles down to the port at Elkridge Landing. Eventually the Patapsco River filled in with silt and ships could no longer sale that far up. IIRC after that, Baltimore, only 3 or

4 miles away, became more popular. But of course Rolling Road goes downhill, since the water is lower than the land.

FWIW, Home Depot rentals are cheap but only for the first iirc 75 minutes. Enough time to take something home after you buy it there. After that the price is, I forget, expensive or maybe just not particularly cheap. They want trucks to be available for customers.

Reply to
micky

Buy an old junker truck that just runs. If you only use it on your property, you probably don't need to license it.

Or, just use a bunch of buckets in your car trunk.

Reply to
Bob F

I was thinking about lining the car trunk or maybe even the back seat with a tarp and putting the dirt on that. He could get a few of those pastic storage boxes that would fit in the car. The big ones that about

2 to 3 feet long and a foot or two wide and high.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what size plastic tub fits in a typical trunk. Maybe twenty gallons? Fifty? A hundred? I don't know.

But that can hold the soil or leaves or chips and the op can shovel it in. Leveraging it out to dump it at the top of the hill is a little trickier.

Not sure if there's a contraption for ramping it out of the trunk though.

Reply to
Charles Jack Jones