IPlanting above 5 thousand feet

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for the kinds of plant, flowers and ground covering that would grow at this elevation and higher.

Reply to
joan Fairman

......... I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for the kinds of plant, flowers and ground covering that would grow at this elevation and higher .........." That depends where in the world you are, 5000ft in Mexico, 5000ft in India, or 5000ft in Canada would all have very different conditions.

Reply to
David Hill

Is there NO vegetation in the area?!? Do you live on a lava flow, mudslide, sandbar, or open water??

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Do some research on gardening in Denver. In my visits there I noticed their plant selection is somewhat limited, mainly because the climate is very dry. Consider growing alpines. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Reply to
Iris Cohen

Elevation is important to some plants, but climate is more important. For example, plants for the top of Mt. Washington (moist, zone 3) would be different from those in Denver, CO (dry, zone 4) and these would be different from those in the High Plains of Oregon (very dry, zone 5). Let us now where you live and the hardiness zone.

Your best source of information would be your county agent. Also, good local nurseries would have a lot of experience in what does well and what doesn't. Then within a climate and elevations range, there are "microclimates" such as protected shady areas, exposed sunny areas, protected sunny areas, exposed shady areas, etc. Each microclimate will be suitable to different plants. Plants grown at the same elevation will do best. There will be less adaptation required.

By the way, many Rhododendrons which are usually grown in very temperate climates near the ocean are from the Himalayan mountains which are the highest mountains in the world but are close to the equator. So native elevations doesn't always translate into similar elevations in different climates.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning