Blinds for double Glazed Windows.

I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame. What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame. What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

Alaric

Sorry about the typing error. Second para first word should read "It".

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

I fitted either the same or something identical to UPVC doors in a rental "lodge" last year.

I'm sure the seals simply moulded themselves around the clips and there wasn't any detectable gap. These were on brand new doors though so the rubber seals were new and very flexible. Yours might have stiffened a little.

The main consideration is that the glass is sealed on the outside by the beading/rubbers. Sliding a thin bit of plastic between glazing and internal rubber is, if anything, going to slightly (very very slightly) increase pressure on the external rubbers which I'd suggest would make them insignificantly "more" effective.

Hope that helps Cheers - Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

These are common in offices in glazed partition walls, but in that case the units don't need to be sealed.

However, I think I've seen some where they are in a sealed unit, and the slats' motion is done via magnets through the glass. No idea if that's how the ones you've seen work though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I believe the ones mentioned attach to the inside edges of the glass and are in the room, rather than between the glass. The between the glass type is a lovely option when it is available, my friend has one made in the 60's in Sweden, not vacuumed between the panes, but a good air gap and gives good insulation, wooden frame, tlt and turn, very advanced compared to what was available then (and now) over here.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame. What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

Alaric

My thanks to all of you who responded with your comments.

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

I've seen office buildings with those. After several years a lot are broken and unreachable, they look dreadful.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr