Leaking Sprinkler Valve Assembly

I finished reinstalling a sprinkler valve assembly, but a couple places where there was a threaded screw-on connection are leaking. I did use teflon tape on the threads and hand-tightened as best I could, but still, leaks. Ugh.

Should I use more teflon tape? Is there some product available that you can brush on after assembly to stop the leaks? Should I just apply some PVC cement to the threads and make them permanent attachments?

Thanks in advance.

- Fleemo (who sure ain't much of a plumber!)

Reply to
Fleemo

Teflon tape reduces assembly friction. Pipe dope, Teflon or conventional, is a sealant to compensate for thread irregularites. Now you know why you have leaks, Sometimes used fittings are rather warped , so a more extreme sealant may be required. Nothing wrong here with going to the auto parts store and getting a robust Permatext product to take care of the problem. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

So my problem may be remedied by applying "pipe dope" to the fittings? Is that something I can pick up at a Home Depot or similar store? I'm not familiar with Permatext. It's an auto-parts product that would work to seal the threaded PVC valve assemblies? Would I ask the auto-parts dealer for Permatext? Once applied, would I be able to disassemble the fittings, or is it a permanent fix?

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Fleemo

Highly likely. Try it first, then go for something meaner if it doesn't quite do it.

Widely available at all the box stores, hardware stores, etc.

The product is Permatex (my misspelling) and is a brand that includes many kinds of gasket compounds and sealants. You can find them at NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. These sealants come in hardening (permanent) and non-hardening flavors. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Thanks for the advice, Joe. I really do appreciate it.

One more question... the valve in question feeds a drip line irrigation system that waters a vegetable garden. Do you think the pipe dope would be dangerous, contaminating the vegetables?

-F

Reply to
Fleemo