Saw Blade For Engineered Hardwood

What type of blade do you recommend to cut 9/16" engineered hardwood. My understanding is that a blade with more teeth will make a finer cut. Looking over the blades at Lowes/depot it seems that most of the blades ~60-80 tooth would work fine. However, if more teeth is better than why not use a plywood blade that has 180 teeth?

Sorry if this is a basic question. Amy

Reply to
Amy L.

Hi, Amy. What is 'engineered hardwood' in this context, please?

Yes, to the point where they clog due to volume of dust produced.

It depends on a lot of things, actually.

It's one of the more complex questions, actually. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. But, if you can describe this "engineered hardwood" that'll help a lot.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Engineered hardwood flooring is made with a plywood base and a "good" layer of hardwood on top that has a very durable finish. You can see it a

or the Bruce flooring at Home Depot/Lowes. A plywood blade will work, but is not really needed. A good carbide blade will do as well.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Need more info: Handheld circular saw? I'd use a 36 or 40 tooth 7 1/4"

36 if I was going to make rip and cross-cuts with the same blade. Get several.

Table saw?

10" 40 tooth combination blade for ripping and cross-cutting

Power Miter saw?

10" - up to 60 teeth for really clean cuts Probably 80 or 96 teeth on a 12"

More teeth make a finer cut, but take much longer to cut. Ripping the length of the wood with a high tooth count could be problematic. Too many teeth in contact with the wood will cause burning, especially in hardwoods. Plywood blades do not fare well on hardwoods at all. You will want carbide tips.

Reply to
gw

If it's hardwood flooring, virtually all the cuts you make will be hidden by trimwork, won't they? A standard 32T carbide-tip blade would work just fine for that.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Yup, I have a room full of it, but if she said "flooring" I missed that part.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just in case you measure a bit off, be sure and cut it so the teeth go down into the good surface, placing chips on the unseen side.

Reply to
George