Can I cannect fridge to a water bottle?

Say one has a fridge with icemaker and water dispenser and no pipe to connect the supply tube to.

Does a solution exist where one can simply connect it to a water bottle and pump?

I googled a bit but mainly came up with stand alone ice maker replacement parts

Reply to
PipeDown

Well, you're need to hook it up in such a way that you'd have water pressure to push the water through the fridge.

I guess if you stuck a hose through the top of a water bottle, ran it all the way to the bottom, then stuck it on top of your fridge, you could do it if you got the flow started like you would by siphoning a gas tank...

It'd look odd, but I bet it could be done.

Reply to
nhurst

How big is this water bottle going to be? A 2 or 3 liter soda bottle, or the size bottle delivered by a water company for a water cooler than doesn't have a water supply?

I suppose you could do it, but why not just get some ice trays and fill them with water?

Have you lived so long with autmatic ice makers that this is foreign to you?

mm

sounds like a ideal use for a RV water pump!

Reply to
hallerb

Well, I had to order one of few side by sides that *don't* have an ice maker, since I have well water which is not the greatest (tests OK, taste not the greatest). You can hardly get away from it anymore. The water dispenser/ice maker soaks a lot of what should be food storage room; it's a shame to put in ice trays also.

I asked around about the same question before ordering my new appliances, and got pretty much a "no, never heard of it" for an answer.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Well, I had to order one of few side by sides that *don't* have an ice maker, since I have well water which is not the greatest (tests OK, taste not the greatest). You can hardly get away from it anymore. The water dispenser/ice maker soaks a lot of what should be food storage room; it's a shame to put in ice trays also.

I asked around about the same question before ordering my new appliances, and got pretty much a "no, never heard of it" for an answer.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Even more interesting question: Why have an auto ice maker if he doesn't intend to hook it up right?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thats easy, someone gave me it for free and its better than my old one.

I finally used the right keywords but still only came up with this

A bit more than I am wanting to spend. It would be cheaper to climb under the house, cut open my aged rusty galv steel pipes and thread god knows how many couplings, nipples and unions back on to get a tap.

Right, actually I plan to repipe that section of the house later this year so I don't want to make a big deal of it now.

For now the icemaker module is removable si I can use the space, I just need to ignore the dispenser in the door.

Reply to
PipeDown

I might try that. Best if it ran on 120V so I could wire in parallel to the solenoid but a 12V power supply is not a problem.

Reply to
PipeDown

Sure, but why use a pump? Just put the water container higher than the refrigerator so that it flows by gravity. (like in a cabinet above the refrigerator)

Don't understand why you can't run a water line to the refrigerator, don't you have water lines in the house?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

No way, you need at least 15PSI probably more to push through the pressure regulator and valves and back up to the icemaker (which is only 12") below the top of the fridge. That leaves a 12" head in a 1/4" tube with obstructions. I would need to put the bottle on a tower to even get close. You would need at least 2 gallons in a tube above the icemaker I estimate. Perhaps with an inverted bottle.

What I really wanted was a cheap air pump to pressurize a 5 or 6 gal bottle and push the water through. Perhaps I can rig up something using my air compressor. Hmmmm.

Reply to
PipeDown

regular compressor MIGHT introduce contaminants, since they arent generally built for human consumption....

rv type much better, and a simple power supply like a wall one can power it if you can only find 12 volt ones

Reply to
hallerb

Build a combination water tower, satellite dish tower and then rent space to the cell companies for their antenna. You just have to be a bit more creative.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Still over $50 even on eBay and I would still need to design how it would work/connect etc. I did find something just right on eBay, NOS from an out of business company but exactly what I want. Must have been hard to install. The other one I posted the link to does not need to be wired to the fridge but this one does. For $21 its worth the risk.

The compressor idea was never very good as water bottles are not intended to hold much pressure

Reply to
PipeDown

Won't the microwave radiation from the dish and cell site boil off all the water before it gets to the icemaker.

Reply to
PipeDown

ice makers REQUIRE a REALLY GOOD FLOW!

As I found out when a bit of nothing clogged mine partially and it quit working.

The saddle valve had a problem, i disconnected the line at the fridge and flow into a bucket appeared good. after replacing the ice maker kit, solenoid valve works in fridge the service guy was called. I was here, he looked at the flow listened to my tale of woe, and replaced the saddle valve its worked fine ever since:(

The flow difference wasnt much so a icemaker on gravity feed just wouldnt cut it

Reply to
hallerb

If it's one of those 5 gallon water bottles, you could always let gravity do the trick by sticking it on top of your fridge.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Use a hose connected to a camping water-bag, and put a rock on the bag to generate pressure.

Reply to
Goedjn

in the spirit of what you describe, do what I did in the same situation, I bought a saddle valve from Lowe's. you can get either the self piercing or the drill type. In your case, you'll probably need the drill type.

you can buy a kit that has all the parts you need for about $15 at your local hardware store. they usually come with a self piercing valve, but you can drill first, then put it on.

Turn off the water, mark where your going to drill, drill a tiny hole, put on the saddle valve, tighten, turn on water, look for leaks, put on water hose...then you should be ready.

I would suggest if you do this, check the valve a couple of times the first week for leaks, just to be safe.

Reply to
nanook

Yeah, ever tried that on Galvinized steel pipe that has 40 years worth of rust inside.

Sections I have replaced, are over 50% filled with rust. Whenever I fix one spot, another one starts to leak. I bet it has an infarction within a week.

Hence the planned repipe, Ill do that myself after I finish the present project.

Saddle valves are only good for copper IMO.

I did just think of another spot to tap. It is not too hard to get a two port valve to replace the one under the kitchen sink and 1/4" tubing is real cheap.

Reply to
PipeDown