Any idea of cost to run water line to my fridge?

Page 1 of 2

Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap for the line that will run to the fridge.
I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).
Thanks in advance.

$150-$200
MP wrote:

He will very likely put in a self-piercing "saddle valve" which requires no soldering.
To avoid floods later on, insist that he run 1/4" copper tube, not plastic.
If you're the least bit handy, it's a DIY job.
How much for a tradesperson? $50 to $100 to drive up. That much more for labor. Maybe someone will do it for a $20 bill?
Jim

You probably won't get a plumber to drive to your house for less than $100, plus some parts and a half hour labor. It is not a difficult job so a "handyman" type of guy can do it for about half the cost of a plumber.
The real trick here is routing the line from sink cabinet to fridge. If it is a long way and other cabinets, it may be a real PITA. If the fridge is over a basement with open ceiling, that may be a simpler route to take.
Simply turn on your faucet and you get water. Mysterious!
replying to h_k, The Girl wrote: Someone needs attention...

No, someone needs to learn to tell time. You replied to a nearly decade old post.
replying to Gordon Shumway, The Girl wrote: It is still on the internet so what does that matter? You replied as well, what are you doing on here a decade later the n?
The Girl wrote on 12/23/2016 :

He didn't reply to a decade old USENET post though. I agree that it doesn't matter.
replying to FromTheRafters, The Girl wrote: What is interesting is everyone keeps commenting! If the post is so old and I commented on it, who cares!!! Please keep telling me that I commented on a decade old post...and then look, here you are. Get over it!
On 12/23/2016 11:44 AM, The Girl wrote:

I'm wondering what the cost would have been 10 years ago and what it would cost now.
The Girl explained on 12/23/2016 :

But I was agreeing with you, so don't be such a bitch.
On 12/22/2016 02:42 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

No one runs water lines to their fridge anymore. The new icemakers can condense water from the owner's sense of satisfaction :-)
--
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." -- Ralph Waldo
Emerson
MP wrote:

It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether they are clear or cloudy.

I did it myself over 10 years ago with plastic tubing and the self piercing tap, never had a problem, very easy to do. I wouldn't bother with copper, don't know anybody that has done that, nor anybody with a leak.
-Jim

My humidifier hose sprang a leak, and my friends ice cube hose did also. Fortunately she was having a party in her basement when it happened, or at least when the water started dripping through.

I've seen a couple leaky plastic lines. They wear through much easier, and also easier for pets to chew through the line.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Mine just sprang a leak, after a few years. No rubbing, no sharp curves, and no pets, especially on the basement ceiling. :)
Don't laugh -- I do have friends whose cats inhabit the cellar ceiling.
Thank you very much for the field report. I've believed in copper water tubing, and now I've got another reason why.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

In my kitchen using either line would result in cold water. My water heater is about 50' away. The ice tray would be full long before hot water would fill the line.