Any idea of cost to run water line to my fridge?

They look nice in a glass of bourbon. The large balls of ice cool and don't dilute as much so even better.

Presentation matters.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe someone installed a spa in your basement?

Interesting use of present tense. Did this really happen?

Yes, I think so. This is a real problem. What is one to do?

We need an infrastructure law that will promote research on a tube that won't leak.

Reply to
micky

Seems to me there is a direct relationship beetween cooling and diluting. Unless you have supercooled ice, but even then.

Reply to
micky

Wouldn't a spa release warm mist?

Yes

1 - Turn off the water 2 - Cut out the bad section 3 - Sweat in a new section 4 - Turn the water back on

Research does not fit the old school definition of infrastructure. The bill will never see the light of senate - errr...umm...I mean - day.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

There is but not as simple as you think. You have thermal mass and surface area. Put in say 2 ounces of zero degree ice and pour 4 ounces of 70 degree liquid over it.

If it is crushed ice, it has a lot of surface area and little mass so it will melt and dilute quickly.

In another container put a 2 ounce ball of ice and pour the liquid. Since it is thicker, the mass allows it to absorb more heat from the liquid and melts at a slower rate.

Small cubes would be between crushed and large chunks.

This is the one I have and it really does make a difference sipping your favorite adult beverage.

Ed Pawlowski

But put 200 degree water in a rubber mold and surround it with 1/2" of insulation and it changes all their calculations.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nah, by the time I got it done Congress will change the laws of physics.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're the one who signed a contract with a low-budget spa.

I meant what is one to do *in advance* so this won't happen? 3/8" copper pipe. Galvanized pipe. Pec for refrigerators?

Reply to
micky

Interesting.

Reminds me of that kiwi egg I posted about.

I see. I bought an icecube tray that made ice in the shape of naked female torsos. But once in the water, one could barely see a thing. So the next time I added food coloring, but rather than disperse as it does in kool-aid etc. the color all sank to the bottom, or the top, I forget.

Then I stopped having parties.

Reply to
micky

Nothing. Stuff happens. Metal fails.

With all the multi-bazillion miles of copper pipe installed around the world, the rare leak is not only not a reason to change anything, it's not even a reason to *consider* changing anything.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

so you too are saying that copper is better than plastic. Your tale of the water mist confused me. When my plastic tube leaked it was more than a mist.

(you have to bend copper properly, not too tightly. Wrap it around a coke bottle. That's good becaue a real coke bottle has many diameters. With plastic you can't bend it sharply either, but seems fine today might still spring a leak in 4 years.

Reply to
micky

I did not say that. I was simply pointing out 2 things:

1 - To he who said he knows of 2 instances of plastic tubing failing: copper fails also 2 - To you who wondered if we should be using 3/8" copper or galvanized to our refrigerators: No

Now, if you want to discuss PEX vs copper, push-to-fit fittings (e.g. Sharkbites) vs sweating, etc., that's always a fun conversation.

I use all of the above. I mix, I match. It all depends on the application and if my priority is looks, time, ease of installation, cost and/or some combination of all four.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

In that case, I said it.

Reply to
micky

First world problems. :-)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

On Sun, 30 May 2021 00:04:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Good one!

Reply to
Tekkie©

For as much water is needed to fill a ice cube dispenser the water will never be hot by the time it gets to the fridge, especially in a 1/4” line.

Reply to
max