What does it cost to run an apartment washer & Dryer $$?

Our renter want to install apartmetn washer (110v) and dryer, how much should we raise the rent by?

We have renters in the upstairs of our rental house, that don't have washer and dryer access, and is not included in the lease agreement. They have asked if they would be allowed to install a washer and dryer upstairs. We pay the utilities right now for the renters, so this would be an added expense. How much would it be fair to raise the rent to compensate for the extra hydro and water (4 adults)? (will make an amendment to lease agreement) Any ideas $10, $20 or $40? I don't really know as of yet what it cost me average utilities per month. Previously only had one adult renting.

p.s. they buy the appliences. They will attach the washer to the kitchen tap (washer on wheels). And dryer will vent through the window. I have a feeling the portable type use more lectricity.

Reply to
lbbs

don't forget to put in who pays for repairs when it floods.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

In most countries, the government can tell you how much power any (new) appliance uses (sometimes also shown on the unit's label.) In the USA I do not know whether federal or state consumer offices provide this information.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You're paying your tenant's electic bill? Funny, every apartment I ever had in my life, the bills were directly charged to the tenant.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

the cost would depend upon how often the units ran. i'm not sure any government is that pervasive yet.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

In the US you should find a YELLOW tag on the appliances in the store listing the electric/gas consumption and an estimated annual cost of operation - the government requires the tag but doesn't supply the information that the manufacturer has to put on it.

Reply to
avoidspam

That is not a hard and fast rule. Many rentals include utilities, just like some DO NOT include any utilities - i.e. parking, water, gas, electric, waste removal (garbage), cable TV and internet service.

There is an apartment complex near the one my son lives in that provides all of the above for the monthly rental charge!

Reply to
avoidspam

What it comes down to are two things:

1) Do you want to keep the tenant?

2) How much you can get away with before the tenant decides to move out.

The easy way is to charge the tenant the increase between the bills for last year and the bills for this year. (You make "adjustments" based on #1 and #2 above.)

Reply to
John Gilmer

now think about this. the yellow tag states an average consumption. what is average, and will the tenants follow this average? perhaps, or perhaps not. consumption depends upon frequency. how the OP determines how much to charge would depend upon the frequency of usage. if i was renting and the owner was paying for the water and electric bills and not charging directly, i'd run the sucker every day for the first yearly lease.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Reply to
Tony Hwang

if they use the washer and dryer too much it will cost too much.. tell them they they have to get a key operated one and that you will keep the key and if they want to use it that you will turn the key on if they come up with some money... or you could get them a seperate meter and let them pay for their own electricity.... the days of landlords paying for the utilities if about over.. most large apt. buildings went to the tennent paying for the electric/gas/water with the high cost of the utilities.... the guy who goes off and lets the water run or the a/c on will soon start to learn to conserve when he has to pay for it himself... its a loosing proposition to pay the tennents utilities.............

Reply to
jim

4 adults and a 110v dryer? It will be running a LOT. We have one of these dryers at our vacation home and it is very slow to dry a load. And the tumbler is so small that a load usually consists of 2 or 3 towels, or 2 or 3 pairs of jeans and takes approximately an hour to dry these very small loads. Imagine 4 adults and all their clothes, towels and sheets. I think it's a bad deal for the landlord _and_ the tenant.

HTH, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte J.

if you can find one, buy a "Kill A Watt"

goes between an appliance and the outlet, it's an individual outlet electric meter.

Reply to
Marke DB Johnston

According to PG&E (

for a Gas heated water: , cold / cold is .05 a load, warm / cold is .12 a load, and hot / warm is .30 a load. For electric, it's .05 , .30, .82.

Gas dryer is .13 a load, electric is .40 a load.

So let's say worse case, they have a electric dryer and electric water heater, and do 30 loads a month, all on hot / warm (1 a day): $36.60.

Let's say best case, gas heater, gas dryer, cold/cold, 30 loads a month: $5.40.

Evan To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Under no circumstances would I allow upstairs tenants to have a clothes washer in their apartment. You are looking for BIG trouble if you let them go ahead with this plan. The added cost of Utilities will be the least of your problems.

Reply to
Ridiculed