Need guidance purchasing washer & dryer that are stackable as well as keeping separately

I have a nice set but am moving to an apartment where only full size stackable set would fit. Since I will be moving form that apartment again, I am interested in fonrtloader individual units with control in the front.

They must have basic high end feaures. I'd want the rack in the dryer.

Reply to
amandaF

Start by checking Consumer Reports for brands with best repair records. Then go shopping. There are some spooky brands out there, so be wary.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A friend recently purchased LG units that were highly rated. So far, they work great. Actually, I watched the washer in action, and it was very interesting. Very little water that is just sprayed around and lots of slowly speeding up, slowing down, changing speeds/ directions. But wash cycles are about 2X in time compared to my 12 year old top loader.

Perhaps most curious is that you can get the display to power up by just rotating the drum by hand without the unit being connected. I'm guessing that is part of the energy star system and it probably regenerates power back to the grid as the washer slows down from spin cycles to save energy.

Reply to
trader4

I did look at a couple of LG last night. I was surprised to see LG as a brand in the poduct line for washer and dryer.

Reply to
amandaF

We picked the upper-middle grade whirlpool duet set and really like them. The LG set is a lot cheaper, but they tell you right in the instructions that they should only be used on a concrete floor, otherwise they shake like crazy. The Whirlpool are fine on regular framing, as long as it's pretty solid. At the time, the dryer rack was free but I had to mail in a form to get it. The Whirlpools can be stacked.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Can you give your model info> I know what features I am looking for; it sounds like this upper middle model could work out for me.

I happend to look at LG because the saleman (boy) was just showing those. I knew that I needed to go back and got a saleman with more experience.

So they are front loader with control in the front. Do they have optional drawer that and be placed below the units? I am thinking about using them ithout stacking when I move.

Reply to
amandaF

WFW9400SW (washer) and WGD9400SW (Gas dryer; electric also available; plus different colors.) Pedestals with a drawer are available; I think they have two sizes (heights). I was a little shocked by the cost of the pedestals, but they are really nice. When you pull the drawer out, there's a sliding shelf that is the right height to hold a laundry basket right under the washer/dryer door.

All the controls are on the front, as are doors/drawers for detergent, etc.

As you research front loaders you will likely find reports of mold issues with the door seals. Whirlpool recommends wiping off the seal when finished using washer and leaving the door open. We do this and have had absolutely no issues.

One little quirk. The dryer door can be reversed, but not the washer door. So if they are side by side the washer should be on the left so the door doesn't get in the way.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thanks for the info. I really apprecaite it.

Reply to
amandaF

Not sure what LG models you're referring too. But she said high end features and I can tell you that the LG model washer/dryers I'm talking about can be mounted on wood floors. I've read the install manual and there is nothing there that says you can't. They do say the flooring needs to be firm, but that's true of all the front loaders, not really brand specific. The friends LG is one model below the top of the line, has the steam cycle, etc and is on hardwood floors with no problems. Standing outside the laundry room, you can hardly tell it's running.

I think Samsung has some models with some vibration reduction tech built in, which might be worth looking at if a solid floor is an issue.