second floor washer/dryer - floor drain liner?

I'm moving the washer/dryer to the second floor. I'm installing an enclosed tiled floor with a floor drain to catch any leaks. (It's elevated 5" so that the laundry basket fits under the doors when you swing them open and so you don't have bend over as far).

It was recommended that I put in a rubber pan liner between the layers of mortar like you do with a tiled shower. I trying to balance the risk of leaks through the tile vs. the floor's stability. Since the drain is just for emergencies and won't be used regularly (hopefuly not at all) I'm wondering if it's a good idea. My concern is how well the tiled floor will last with the vibrations from the washer and dryer it it's got the rubber sheet layer. How well does the mortar bond to this rubber?

Any opinions?

Reply to
Snowbound

"Snowbound"

I wouldn't bother with the liner at all. The only caution I'd mention is to make it easy to shut off the hoses to the machine. They make a nice valve that shuts off hot and cold with a single lever. It's very convienent having the laundry on the second floor, but you probably should protect yourself from a flood by shutting off the water between uses. A hose that bursts can cost thousands of dollars.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Thanks for the advice. I did indeed put in one of those single lever valves. I used one of those white plastic boxes that go into the wall with the hot/cold water and washer drain.

Reply to
Snowbound

Oh...YOU did the work yourself.

Tell us more.

How did you vent it?

And how did you vent your floor drain?

Your floor drain will almost never see any water (probably NEVER in fact) what are you using the prime your trap? If you havent' installed it yet, you might want to install an automatic trap primer so you don't have to f*ck with it at all. Either that or you can do that trick where you deliberately backgrade a section of drain pipe in order to auto-prime your trap by stealing some of the water from your washing machine loads. Not to code in most areas though.

And no, you don't need a liner. However, I love those liners. When we remodeled the house, we used that stuff everywhere. I have all tile everywhere in the house now. Spring cleaning around here is a breeze. I simply move the furniture and use the pressure washer to clean the interior. If you like clean, this is the only way to go.

I agree that turning the water off entirely isn't a bad idea. However, I personally use DW hoses that are metal-braided for an added level of protection. I do think a VERY accessible whole house shutoff makes a lot of sense. Instead of turning off ONE fixture, why not turn the whole house off before you leave for work?

Reply to
Blackbeard

Yes I am doing it myself. It's a full bathroom renovation. It was one of those 70's bathrooms, avacado green with white shag carpet. It was poorly laid out so there was a lot of wasted space. It's a 14' long room that had no ceiling lights or fan. It just had one of those long strips of round light bulbs that go over the mirror.

We were able to reorganize it so we could fit a set of those european style front loading washer/dryers without (I think) making it look like too much like a laundry room.

The washer/dryer it where there used to be a sink so it vents directly up through the wall behind it. I was going to put an automatic trap primer but the guy at the plumbing store talked me out of it. He recommended putting some mineral oil in the draing to stop it from evaporation.

Thanks

Reply to
Snowbound

I put in a 'Apartment ' laundry in my Moms place. Its a small washer and a dryer above it. Its great for her. Everyone who walks into the place loves it.

Yes, I always tell people to put veg oil in a trap that is not used or fill it with a little concrete. Anything that will stop gas from coming in.

We were able to reorganize it so we could fit a set of those european style front loading washer/dryers without (I think) making it look like too much like a laundry room.

The washer/dryer it where there used to be a sink so it vents directly up through the wall behind it. I was going to put an automatic trap primer but the guy at the plumbing store talked me out of it. He recommended putting some mineral oil in the draing to stop it from evaporation.

Thanks

Reply to
Red Jacket The Laughing India

Yes, I always tell people to put veg oil in a trap that is not used or fill it with a little concrete. Anything that will stop gas from coming in.

Ok, I re read the post. Yeah, for this use a primer in the trap.

We were able to reorganize it so we could fit a set of those european style front loading washer/dryers without (I think) making it look like too much like a laundry room.

The washer/dryer it where there used to be a sink so it vents directly up through the wall behind it. I was going to put an automatic trap primer but the guy at the plumbing store talked me out of it. He recommended putting some mineral oil in the draing to stop it from evaporation.

Thanks

Reply to
Red Jacket The Laughing India

trap primers suck. I use 3/4 wirsbo for me pan drain. I use no trap and never tie it into the sewer. mine dump to basement floor near floor drain.

For traps that dry out I use the shit from the waterless urinal.

Reply to
Ned Flanders