top loader or front loader for second wood floor

Recently I read some reviews regarding vibration from front loader in second wood floor. It seems that putting it in second wood floor could enhances shaking and vibration. I have a front loader in second floor and now oil is leaking inside tub. I used it for 7 years. Last two years, I have been using the front loader in second wood floor. I am not sure if it is a cause of this faiture.

Now i am trying to buy new washing machine. I would like to be careful about a type of washing machine. front loader vs top loader.

I will appreciate if you can share your thought and experience with me. happy holidays !!!

Reply to
laser

After you moved the machine to the second floor was overall vibration more noticeable / bothersome?

I would doubt that the vibration would harm the machine or reduce its life. The vibration issues I have heard about have all been occupant complaints about nuance vibrations.

The key issues are drum rpm, anti vibration control systems in the machine & the location of the machine with respect to adequate second floor framing stiffness. The stiffer the floor, the less noticeable the vibration will be.

I'm just getting a front loader but the installation will be on the first floor (raised foundation construction).

I have noticed that all the sales guys have warned about possible vibration issues with second floor installations (CYA behavior I'm thinking)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

buffalo ny: use top loader, add a drip pan drain, and a water sensor alarm. the high rpm front loaders might shake the house like yours shakes on a 60 mph gusty day.

Reply to
buffalobill

I've used top loaders all my life, no leaks. Any washer will vibrate if it contains an off-balanced load. For the least vibration, set the washer on a concrete slab, or at least a reinforced floor. The higher up, the more likely there will be a resonance. I put a 4x4 timber behind my washer and that stopped an annoying vibration. You may need to experiment, but don't expect to eliminate all vibration--it's the nature of the beast.

Reply to
Phisherman

Agree with what Bob says above. I don't see an issue of whether a washer is located on the first floor or second floor of a house with frame construction in regard to longevity. Either way, it's being supported by joists and the vibration should be about the same. One issue Bob identified is how well the framing structure can carry the load/vibration, meaning if the washer is located closer to the ends of the joist span it will be better than if it;s located mid-span. And the other issue is what's underneath that may be disturbed by any noise that's transmitted.

Samsung has washers that they claim has some special vibration reducing technology. Don't know how well they work. Can tell you that I helped install high end LG washer and dryer. They went on a first floor supported by joists, near the joist ends, floor surface is hardwood. Standing outside the laundry room, you can hardly tell it's running.

Reply to
trader4

Always use the "delicate" cycle.

Reply to