front loader washing machine Door

my mother leaves her [front loading] washing machine door Open when not in use

is there a reason for this?

thanks marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Ask her, why us?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

It's the recommended practice by some of the manufacturers. Water left in the door seals that results in bacteria, mold, nasty smells is a major problem.

Reply to
trader_4

Trader is right on. It is to prevent mold on the door gasket and let the tub dry out. In fact our new machine has a "half c*ck" detent on the door hinge that holds the door open far enough to air out the gasket and tub.

Reply to
gfretwell

thanks all,

I think I'll read through the Manual thoroughly

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Ah, good. Someone that actually RTFM.

I suggest you RTFM and you'll learn the reason.

Hint: When the door is closed, the drum is both air and water-tight.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Scott Lurndal:

RTFM - in English?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Read The Friggin Manual

Reply to
gfretwell

Read The Friggin Manual "

THANK YOU.

Is that so difficult to type out in this LAZY-ASS 21st century?!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

They should have made it water-tight but not air-tight. Problem solved.

Reply to
micky

As this is Usenet, and RTFM has been in the usenet dictionary since the 1980's, I felt it was a suitable acronym - one that has found its way into the vernacular, in fact.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Where air can escape, so can water.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

OTOH, I have seen it recommended NOT to leave the door open, in case a small child climbs in and gets trapped. I think that the instructions for our Kenmore front-loader said to leave the detergent/bleach/fabric softener dispenser open instead.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The tech crowd has been using that for 50 years or more that I know of. I heard it in basic electronics in 1965 and I don't think the instructor hadn't heard anything new for 20 years then. He was still blathering on about what he did in the war.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is not a ne3w concept. People usually left their top loaders open until they dried out too. Otherwise drum life was going to be pretty short

Reply to
gfretwell

Most top loaders do not have seals on the lids. I just looked at mine, and there is a slot several inches wide that I can see into the tub area. While it will not dry as fast as if the top is open, it should dry.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Could a kid manage to climb in and close and latch the door behind them? IDK, the one's I've seen, don't even have anything by which to pull on the door from the inside. I doubt very much that leaving a dispenser open is going to do much to get moisture out of the door seal. If the manufacturer's are worried about a kid climbing in, you'd think they'd have a door design so that you couldn't pull it closed from the inside. And maybe at least most of them do, if not by intention, by chance.

Reply to
trader_4

... on a new one. The door does not lock until you set the cycle you want and hit start. Then the computer tests the load and if it was a big lump, like a kid, it stops the cycle and unlocks the door. It is really looking at the weight and distribution. If you roll up everything in a sheet and throw it in as a big ball, the washer will not start tho BTDT.

Reply to
gfretwell

Does not have to. Gravity keep water in the drum. A vent on the top allows for air and the water will not escape. Your toilet tank and bowl are not airtight, yer the floor is still dry.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

She and I have had long discussions about this, while waiting for your father to come home. We have decided that it's best for the children not to know why.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon