Bosch washing machine - no spin

I have a UK Bosch front loading WFK2801 washing machine. It's around 8 years old.

I've had a few minor issues over the years - limescale and blown heater elements, but it's basically worked fine.

It's been working fine until yesterday when I noticed a slight rasping in (sparking? rubbing?) noise whilst spinning, but I ignored it. Wash finished fine.

Today I put some clothes on for a rinse, and whilst the cycle completed fine, the clothes were sodden. Further investigation showed the drum would not rotate.

I dismantled the machine hoping to find a broken drive belt, but no.. - drive belt intact - no water leaks (shorting) - no burning evidence

I de-scaled various tubes etc I've done before that relate to pumping/emptying & pressure sensing, which made no difference.

When the machines tries to spin, I can hear a relay clicking where I would expect the drum to rotate. No error codes are shown (which has happened before when the drum water/pressure sensor got blocked)

I removed the motor (easy, just 2 bolts + cables). Marked up as - FHP motors

007 112 G 63 083480 0799 083971 600 N4 2422 230/240V 50Hz Isok1.B/F Ac - Elektronik FRW-Nr 304 7809 AA0

No idea what those numbers mean (apart from obvious)

Electrically there's a flat 7 pin connector. Top to bottom : yellow, yellow, -> go to shaft at end of motor - measure speed? blue ? near brushes , gray -> motor brushes , black ? near brushes , brown ? near brushes? ,greeny yellow? disappear near brushes

What would you recommend to TEST the motor is at fault or not? Any ideas for other likely causes? Likely replacement/rufurbishment cost?

Reply to
nigel.l.jones

new brushes are needed if it is anything like my hotpoint.

that wouldn't spin, but washed normally.

couple of quid for mine

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Take brush out if they're less than half inch in replace them.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On its own, or by hand?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Ok, I removed the brushes.

There's a plastic housing around the brush. within that there's a metal tube (rectangular) which contains the actual carbon brush. The brush itself is still springy but with nothing pushing against it, protudes by only around 2-4mm.

I'll also check the power connector to check the machine is trying to run the motor (anyone know which pins, otherwise I'll work it out......)

Reply to
nigel.l.jones

BANG!

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

It's worth the monetary bet to wager that it's the brushes on your electric motor to fault. Google for new brushes - some sites even tell you how long the carbon part is and I'll bet it is in the 25mm ballpark range (not 2 to 4mm).

Just replaced the brushes on our Zanussi washing machine - the parts cost =A326 (gulp). A tenner each brush, plus delivery, plus vat. But having used the machine for several years trouble free it pales into insignificance.

Since you probably will renew your brushes here's my tip: make sure you use an old toothbrush and remove as much carbon dust as is reasonably practical from around the motor. On a previous machine I had replaced worn brushes two or three times and then we had a flashover problem one time when the accumulated carbon dust proved an easy route for the power to take. So clean it out (and perhaps use an air line outside to dislodge any further particles. Dust mask time I'm sure.

Also, since you've probably dismantled a good part of the machine it isn't too much additional bother to check the sump for coins, underwired bra wires (if nothing else does I'll bet that this comment draws replies :-) and other debris. Clean out the inlet water filters too.

HTH

Mungo

P=2ES. When my mother in law moved house the tenants leaving her new property left the washing machine as part of the house sale. Since she already had recently purchased a new machine, she didn't want to use the machine left, so I volunteered to take it off her hands. A couple of T pieces and valves and a morning's endeavours meant that I could install the second machine in our garage beside the sink already there. Result: two washing machines for SWMBO to use (sexist comment ladies, I'm kidding of course; take the wife with me everywhere so I don't have to kiss her goodbye ;-) I'm sure others in a similar fortunate position would agree that having a second machine is a godsend when there's a family to deal with. Staying in the West of Scotland there's no water meter to contend with (before I get further flack from the environmental brigade). Recommended if you've got the space to spare.

Reply to
Mungo

Sounds like the brushes do need replacing, if the springs are at full lenght and the brushes are showing 2-4mm from edge of housing then I would suspect these need changing.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You need a new brush/housing assembly, if it is the same as my bosch you buy the whole end of the motor, it is about 80 quid or so, very easy to fit though.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

We have 2 washers and 2 dryers, and honestly I would never go back to just one of each. As a matter of fact since you can wash clothes twice as fast as drying them I wouldnt mind having 4 dryers paired with 2 washers.

my mom moved in with us so I bought the second pair of machines, mom died but the machines live on and are very convenient,

since the machines are getting old if one breaks its no big deal we have redundancy

Reply to
hallerb

The carbon brushes for your machine, not a bad price considering I went to espares and they where asking £40 lol

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I kept my old (Hotpoint) machine about 15 years ago as a plumbed in reserve. We used it to rinse swimming gear, to make sure it was servicable.

Twice it has proved to be faulty at the same time as the newer machine has failed.

It now works as well, if not better than the new (expensive AEG) machine, after the disintegrating concrete block attached to the drum has been replaced with redundant roofing lead.

Spares are still readily available at a sensible price (unlike the AEG).

If you've got the space, go for a spare. It saves having to bodge quickly to get out of the mire when SWMBO demands an instantly working machine.

Reply to
<me9

Ok, so I&#39;m stumped.

I got some new brushes and fitted them. I replaced the motor and am sure I was&#39;t imaganing the drum spinning for a few minutes.

I tried again later and nothing. (Also no smells/bangs etc).

I figured the belt had come off, or brushes slipped off. Nope.

So the brushes are now long (1").

Looking down the shaft I can see the commutator. I can check resistance between the commutator and each brush terminal which proves the brushes are touching commutator.

I&#39;m seeing about 5 ohms between the two brush terminals (sounds low - shouldn&#39;t this include resistance of the armature?)

The brushes are at aprox 180deg on the commutator

Going back to the wiring again I see a 6 way connector

  1. Yellowey green
  2. brown
  3. black
  4. gray
  5. blue
6.yellow
  1. yellow

I think 6,7 go to something on the shaft - presumably a speed sensor -

200 ohms 4,5 go to the brushes - 4.5 ohms 2,3,1 go into the motor 1:3 0.5 ohm, 2:3 1 ohm 1:2 0.5 ohm ? No other connections between above

Spot the error?

Reply to
nigel.l.jones

Is the machine not spinning on the spin cycle or do you mean no motor action even on wash ? Peter

Reply to
powerstation

A common cause of &#39;no spin but everything else OK&#39; faults in various makes of washing machine (I don&#39;t know if this applies to Bosch) is the motor controller PCB usually mounted close to the bottom of the machine. Check for burnt out tracks and repair by soldering a short piece of wire across the gap.

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

No motor action at all...

There&#39;s no motor PCB - cable goes straight to motor from controller.

The controller initially looks slightly black in one area, but a little wipe and it looks clean - no clear sign of damage.

Actually I&#39;m a bit stumped so it&#39;s probably

a) simple mistake - =A360+ callout/fix? b) bust motor =A3lots c) bust controller =A3150?

or get something like a Bosch WFO2467 for =A3271 or so....

This is now looking tempting given the machine is probably 7-8 years old.. better washes, all new parts etc etc.

Reply to
nigel.l.jones

Ok, so I got an expert in. I&#39;d sorted the motor fine (whether it needed it was debatable, but the brushes were only a couple mm long so they would have need doing soon)

The pressure vessel was blocked, so the controller wouldn&#39;t start the spin!

All fixed for =A330 which I think was great..... at least I know for nex ttime (I should have thought.....)

Reply to
nigel.l.jones

Reply to
glynny007