Servis washing machine will not spin

Hello,

I have a Servis M6135 washing machine that will not spin. It goes through all the motions when washing and the drum does spin slowly for a few seconds during the spin cycle. However, it never gets up to full speed.

I've checked the filter on the front of the machine with nothing major, checked the motor brushes which still have plenty of meat on them and am at a loss.

Is there anything else I should check or should I try and replace the brushes anyway?

Thanks.

Reply to
Virgin

Should also have said that when washing, the machine does not take the powder or conditioner from the dispenser drawer.

Apart from that, goes through the cycle as normal without the spin.

Thanks

Reply to
Virgin

Is the drum still full of water when it tries to spin ? Problems in pumping out, or in either over or under filling can stop successful spinning. (an over-full drum doesn't get pumped out in time, an under-full drum can indicate a level system that thinks it's always full).

Get the Haynes WM manual out of the library and go through the checklists.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Then there's no water passing thru' those drawers! Water no' turned on at the wall supply faucet? Damage in the rear of the draw assembly? that lets water bypass the powder - take the top off the m/c and watch the fill cycle.

Lets get the first problem fixed, first.

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

Have a check of the water level detector switch. This is about 3" in diameter and wil have a piece of plastic pipe going to it from the bottom of the washing machine drum. This often gets clogged with soap remnants and the level switch thinks that the drum is still not empty. Check the switch by blowing very gently into the pipe to it. You should hear two clicks. Now let the air out and another two clicks will he heard. Remove the pipe from the bottom of the drum and clean that out and also have a look in that hole to make sure it is clear of soap.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groups x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

Put the machine on a boil wash with nothing in it. Leave it complete the whole cycle by itself. This should clear any blockages caused by, what sounds like, soap and conditioner scum in the fill level system of your machine. It has to be the hottest wash cycle remember, and it has to complete this on it's own.

Reply to
BigWallop

I recently fixed a Zanussi 828 that was initially poor at spinning, then gradually started overfilling to the point of leaking.

Nothing wrong with the level switch or its hose at all (as I first thought), all it was was crud buildup in the pressure bottle. It looked as if it couldn't possibly be making any difference, yet this was entirely enough to cause the problem, just on its own. So don't overlook this "trivial" component.

Of course Zanussi design the pressure bottle as part of the pump housing and it's damn near impossible to get access for cleaning. A hateful job, although the success was rewarding.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hi,

I wonder if using liquid detergent would help prevent problems with clag buildup.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

It doesn't really, and some of them are worse if the water is cold.

Reply to
BigWallop

Really?

I thought the buildup of clag was mostly powder residue. I have found that liquid can be too thick and not disperse properly on colder washes, for this I premix it in a jam jar.

Also wonder why washing machines don't have built in softeners like dishwashers do.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The softener (fabric conditioner) usually goes in a separate compartment in the soap drawer. Oh. That's just like a dish-washer. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

LOL :) I meant the ion exchange softener that takes sodium carbonate salt.

Softened water prevents scale buildup and soap scum, though I'm not sure scum would be a problem with detergent.

Anyone with a chemical water softener can say whether the clothes come out softer without using fabric softener? If so it would have to be cheaper and easier than adding fabric softener to each wash.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I know what you meant. :-) Just can't resist these urges sometimes. :-) LOL

Never thought of asking anyone who has a softener device for that type of test. Now added to my "ask for customer feedback" list. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop