Washing machine drum doesn't spin

I have a problem with my washing machine(Hotpoint). The drum does not spin during the wash cycle. I can manually spin it so it doesn't look like there is any blockage. Any ideas as to what to look for would be much appeciated.

Reply to
Jitu Patel

Are you saying it doesn't spin at all, ever (ie, not during the spin cycle either?). Does the motor come on? If so, I'd take the back off (unplug it first!!) and check the drive belt round the drum hasn't broken or fallen off.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Go to a library, borrow the Haynes manual on washing machines (almost every library has it). Follow the diagnostic flowcharts.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Jitu Patel formulated on Wednesday :

The motor is probably turning, but the drive belt is either broken (most likely) or adrift (less likely).

Check by listening to the drum as you turn it. If it sounds as if it is driving something else at a much higher speed and there is some resistance, that will be the motor you can hear turning as well (belt OK).

If it turns quite freely and no faster noise, the belt is broken.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Does it rotate at any point in the entire programme ?

Reply to
Andy