second floor dryer vent

I'm installing a dryer on the second floor and the only choice I have is to run the vent through the roof. My concern is that by squeezing the 4" rigid aluminum vent into the wall, I'm coming awfully close to wood and PVC. I'm wondering just how close I can come to either of these substances before it becomes a fire hazard. Or is the duct just not hot enough to be an issue? Any ideas on code for this? Thanks.

Reply to
GerryC

I don't know if you have considered this but how about running out the side?

Reply to
MP

Two notes:

  1. They make an oval rigid vent pipe for in the wall use. You are wise not to consider anything other than rigid vent material.
  2. Don't worry about the heat. Remember that the air going through the pipe just went through your dryer and if it was hot enough to cause a fire, your underwear would be a cinder long ago.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Plugging up with lint causes fires not the metal touching wood or plastic. But look for the right size duct.... does not have to be round.

Reply to
Art

I would provide an easily reachable clean out at the botttom of the stack. Lint will build up in the vent stack. It will reduce dryer efficiency because it blocks air flow. Eventually it could cause a fire. This is based on direct experience in Navy, condo, and private home installations. An alternative is to use a dryer like Miele that doesn't need a vent.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Reply to
GerryC

Thanks Art. That's just what I wanted to hear.

Reply to
GerryC