Range Hood Vent & Dryer Vent

Hello,

At what point, in new construction, would it be best to put in the Range Hood Vent & the Dryer Vent?

Seems odd to put the roof on, the ceiling drywall, etc... and then get down to installing cabinets and range hood; yet not having the exhaust pipe already laid into the ceiling to exhaust out the roof. The vent pipe would go from the range hood, up through the ceiling drywall, and then out through the roof and the new shingles. A bit of a bummer to cut a hole through a perfectly good roof. :-)

Not knowing, I would guess at;

Roof goes up, shingles are placed on, drywall ceiling is installed, and now we are putting the cabinets up. They are all set and the stove is known where it is going, so we have the location of the range hood. Install the range hood, piping from the hood to the ceiling, cut hole through ceiling, climb up into the attic, extend that piping to the roof, cut hole in roof and install a roof vent cover. Is that about right or is there a better way?

For the dryer vent, I guess I would do this after the drywall was installed in the bathroom (where they dryer is located) and continue through to the outside through the hardi siding; then install a dryer vent cover to the outside wall.

Maybe it is just this simple, but for some reason I can't get it out of my head, that we are cutting holes through the new drywall and the new roof and the new siding. Sure, a hole has to be created, but going blindly through ceilings and walls; when at some point during construction they are all exposed, should this process be moved to that point when all is open?

Thank you for any answers and suggestions,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Put in your ductwork at framing stage when sheathed..before shingling or drywall & Tape temporary covers over them to keep construction debris out (both ends). The roofers will install the roof vent for the range hood (seems you re going "UP") and you (or whoever) will connect inside the kitchen end once the cabinets are installed and the 'hood' goes up. Same goes for dryer vent..use rigid 4" aluminum pipe..stay away from that flexible "accordion" plastic crap. Whoever is doing the siding will put the vent cap on the outside.

Reply to
Rudy

Thank you,

Tim