dryer exhaust vent cover

My dryer has a 4" corrugated sheet metal duct that runs to the wall. I had one of those vent cover (which consist of a plastic hood and a flap, connected to a 12" long 4" diameter sleeve, many years ago I busted a hole in the 8" thick concrete wall, put the sleeve in, and filled around the sleeve with concrete. The duct and sleeve connects with a clamp.

After years of rain and sun the plastic vent hood turned yellow and literally disintegrated.

I pryed it off and now I still have the SS sleeve embedded in the wall, with it's tail end clamped to the duct. I just need a new vent cover to pop into the sleeve.

I could not find one.

It seems there has been some subtle (but annoying) change in the vent cover today.

The ones I saw years ago, the cover and sleeve are connected such that the circular collar of the cover slides INSIDE of the 4" sleeve. I was able to pry off the vent cover and leave the sleeve intact without any problem.

I found 4 or 5 variations of vent cover in HD and Lowes, and all of them now has the collar that slides OUTSIDE of the sleeve. This means in order to use them I have to chip out concrete just to attach a new sleeve.

Does anyone know of a vent hood cover that slide INSIDE of the sleeve?

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I know the one I bought from Ace hardware is made by Deflecto, and that one also has the plastic sleeve going outside the 4" duct. If your 4" duct comes out pretty much flush with the concrete wall, you could just trim away the plastic sleeve on the vent and just secure the vent cover to the wall with plastic anchors and screws. The air from the dryer has nowhere to go but out the duct since you sealed the area with concrete.

Reply to
Mike rock

No, and you probably won't. There is a reason they fit on the outside. namely so there is no lint catching and building up to clog the end.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife!

Lou

Reply to
LouB

"I see.", said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Second the notion. Might even be able to simply cement the vent to the wall with silicone sealant being careful to align the openings, of course.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Our vents are secured with caulk, have been for 8 years...we have louvers on the outside, rather than the flapper type. Louvers seem to be less noisy.

Reply to
norminn

hmmm...so it's a design change. I was wondering why they all seemed to have changed.

Reply to
nmbexcuse

Seems I might have to do that.

Reply to